1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bringing in the rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dntd, Dec 9, 2009.

1. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I was just wondering if anyone brought thier roosters in the house at night so that he doesn't bug the nieghbours? I just don't want to get rid of him if his noise becomes an issue. I think taking him outside at 9am or so would help with his noise . Today I heard my little guy crow so I have been thinking about noise issues. The females are quit sweet sounding and make less noise then wild birds we have around hear, almost like a morning dove but way softer.

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Depending on the weather in your area,I would think it would do him harm to bring him in a warm house then put him outside in the cold.Thats my thought.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Only if you don't ever want to sleep again. Mine's in due to the storm, and he's been a complete #$%@ since last night. Loud, obnoxious, and noxious.

You might want to try a roo-box and leave him outside -- though my experience with a low-ceilinged cage has been a joke. He still crows.

4. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    I put a dog crate in the coop and kept the boys inside until 9ish every morning. They still crowed but it was muffled and the neighbors didn't hear them.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    You might be surprised - he might not crow as much as you think he will. I have 4 roosters and barely hear a peep out of them. But if he does, try locking the chickens up at night in their coop and then open it up in the morning. It might not stop him from crowing, but as others have mentioned, at least it will be muffled. If you take him away from his girls he will get stressed and crow more than if he is with them. Even if he is in a crate next to them, he is going to talk and stress until he is with them.

6. JP62

JP62 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Arcanum, Ohio
    The only reason I keep our roosters is to annoy the neighbors. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    My japanese bantams are quiet. I rarely hear them crow and for awhile I had 2 in the room next to the bedroom. My standard mix breed roos are loud. I hear them constantly from the coop 500' away. No way I'd bring one of those inside. Then I added some guinea fowl so it's never quiet out there. I thought I'd get complaints from my neighbor instead I'm not allowed to get rid of certain roos or guinea fowl and if I move they want them. [​IMG]

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I had (just lost him to a dog a couple of days ago, Grrr!) a big white rooster that would crow nonstop from 2 am to 7 am, and then off and on all day. I put him in a cage about the size of one of those show cages at the fair in my horse trailer with a blanket over it, like you would cover up a pet parrot. I would put him up about 11 pm, and bring him out at 10 am and he'd crow a few times and then be ok, but it stopped the annoying night time crowing. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it worked for this rooster.

I worry about rooster noise too. Our neighbors are far away, but with the way our property is situated among some rock outcrops, sound echoes and carries very, very far. I had a loud-mouthed goat for a while and I could hear her from two miles down the road! Also, my husband and I are late sleepers and don't like to wake up to roosters at 5 am. And my mother in law (we live at her house right now) doesn't really care for the roosters too much after growing up on a farm with mean, noisy roosters. So I try to keep them as quiet as I can.

When I get a better chicken coop built I want to put a separate little room into it that will be totally dark when closed, for roosters at night. Then I can have them loose in there, or cage them and cover them, whatever works better.

9. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I have taught my Silky roo-Bobby- to come indoors to crow so as to not PO the neighbors. He is in at nite and sleeps in a flip out soft sided kennel. He actually loves watching tv with us and will put himself to bed half the time. I wake him up at 8am he crows till 9am and out he goes for the day. He will crow once outside to let me know he needs to come in and waits till I close the door behind him and lets loose with his crows and will either want back out or take a look arround to see whats going on. Alot of the times he will follow me to the office and settle down till Im done then go outside.

10. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Quote:WOW! How'd you pull that off? I have a 6 week old silkie that is starting to have a red crown. We so don't want to get rid of him. Can you tell me how you trained yours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by