bringing new chickens to the farm

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smile, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Smile

Smile Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2007
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Hello,

I have a question about integrating new chickens with an existing flock. I am going to take a friend's 10 week old chicks. (4 pullets, 2 roos) We currently have 2 flocks. We have 1 year olds (11 hens, 1 roo) free range up front by the house. Our other flock is in the barn. There are 24 of them and are 10 weeks old. Not sure exactly how many roos-I think around 5. We are thinking of integrating them with the barn flock. They live in a 400sq ft area. So, we were thinking of putting the newbies in a dog cage inside the living are till they get used to each other...but I really am clueless...will that even work? Are there other threads I can read about this? Thanks!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

There are quite a few thread on integrating new birds. You can try searching key words like integration of flocks, adding hens, and so on.

There are many ways you could do it, but one important thing to do is quarantine. Always a good practice and can prevent outbreaks of things you didn't even know they had. Birds are good at hiding things.

A coop within a coop with all birds about the same size is a good starting point for the time they need to blend. If you are mixing 10 weekers with 10 weekers, probably have almost no problems. 10 weekers with adults, you'll have to wait till they are the same size and be ready for 2-4 weeks of pecking order establishment. Let them fight it out.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I was going to say that but looks like it was already covered. Great job!!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  5. Smile

Smile Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2007
    Bonner Springs, KS
    Thank you for the info. I will do the quarantine and heed other advice. You all are awesome!

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    well , Hubby is bringing home 10 bantams about 3 months old all pullets and also 1 bantam rooster .

I told him I had taken some good advice about keeping them separated for at least 30 days . So we do have several cages for that , BUT , keeping them in cages with all this heat is really not a good idea . BUT the cages are under the trees and plenty of shade .

They have been raised all together in a LARGE AREA with all different breeds of hens and roos , BUT , I am so scared they are attacked by the large roosters .... BUT , they still NEW to OUR flock .

In the existing flock , I have 27 teens that are about 14 weeks old , 7 hens ( 4 laying already and 3 are fixing to join the laying group . lol

But , being these are bantams , I am scared to mix them at all . 1 of my hens is a old english game hen . She is really not aggressive at all ( which surprises me ) , BUT I was told bantams are much smaller . I have not seen these bantams and I have no idea what kind of bantams they are . TO me a bantam is SMALL , PERIOD and I would hate to have them injured by roosters ... We do not have room to totally build a separate coop and run for them , I am at ODD'S about this totally .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  7. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have been reading this forum for several months (I am starting to get addicted). I really enjoy reading what Miss Prissy and Speckled Hen have to say. I think the post by Miss Prissy about flock integration is really great. I think we worry more about attitudes of our birds sometimes than we do biosecurity and we should put the BIO First!

I also dust my new birds with Sevin while I am waiting for their quarantine period to expire. I have found this really helps keep unwanted critters from infecting my flock. One time this man wanted to give me some of his chickens so I went out to see his "operation." I was appalled by the filth and mites that were everywhere. I did not take any of them! I wanted more chickens really badly, but not that badly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by