bringing new chicks home

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by atief1253, Mar 2, 2013.

1. atief1253

atief1253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    We are picking up baby chicks that are being delivered to a friends house. Will they stay warm enough in a shoebox (top with holes), and in a warm car? It will be a 45 min drive.

2. I would put like a old tee shirt or somthing in the box...so it's not a bare box...they should be ok just keep them out of any cold drafts and such....Keep the car warm..

3. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I was going to fill a fuzzy sock with rice and microwave it then twist tie it in place through the cardboard shoebox I have a half hour drive home with them and hope it holds the heat long enough.

I have 9 weeks to wait!!!! it is not easy.

4. Thats a good idea to do with the rice in a sock...with that they should be fine....

5. and 9 more weeks the weather will be much warmer to...No worries...

6. and those little heat packs you can buy at the hunting store works good..Thats what the hatchery puts in the box when we get them in the mail....Just make sure the sock is secure so it won't roll on them and kill em...

7. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    a friend of mine lost two bantams from the heat pack doing just that. When the chicks arrived from MPC the two little guys were just smooshed under the heat pads and the other bigger chicks had gotton on top of the heating pad in transit. :-( That's why I am going to twist tie the sock in place.

8. Thats why I would put the heat pads under the shirt ....But either way you go you should be fine...

9. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    I kind of like your idea better than mine now...what do you think of stuffing the sock with something soft and sticking heat pads in it. It would be lighter than the rice and less likely to squash the babies...I am so glad you brought up those hand warmer thingies. that's the new plan!

10. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I use a hot water bottle and put it under a towel in the box. (Bigger than a shoe box.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by