bringing new chicks outside

bigwhiskey

Hatching
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Stevens County, WA
We brought our baby chicks outside yesterday. They are 6 weeks old. We built a nice chicken coop for them. Inside they have nice nesting boxes and also a large tree branch to roost on. They haven't ventured outside yet. The chicken coop is built on stilts, so there is a ramp for them to use. How can I get them to visit outside? They will love it. It is fenced all around and has plenty of room to scratch.

welcome-byc.gif
At 6 weeks they are probably cold. They should have heat until they are fully feathered out.

I just put our 5 week old chicks out in the coop this weekend. They are so thrilled about being outside that I have the opposite problem...we have to crawl in the run to grab them and put them in the coop. But our temps have been a balmy 94 for the last few days. The whole next week isn't supposed to be under 85. Even the nights stay around 70. Mine are out there just dust bathing and staying in the shade...but I don't want to leave them in the open run for the night due to predators.

The chicks are feathered out. The weather has been nice. We made sure that we send them out when the weather is decent. The days have been warm in the 70' s and low 80's. The nights have been in the high 40's and low 50's. Do we need to actually put them outside? Would they figure out the ramp to get back into the coop? They seem happy! They are chirping, eating, and drinking. Thanks for any advice!

Our girls have been in their coop/yard for the last 3 days and nights
clap.gif
I was more ready to reclaim our NEW BARELY used master bathroom. They are doing awesome! They were a little unsure, but once they realized the potential, there's been no stopping them. This evening they actually went into the coop on their own.. We placed ours on the ground first with their feed and water. At the end of each day I move it back into their coop and it was almost like they just needed to know what they were suppose to do. We still use a heat lamp at night and I get up early in the morning 7a.m. open their coop and let them come out as they're ready. We just move slowly and introduce new routines one at a time.
thumbsup.gif

ok don't laugh . . . we carry mine out side and then . . . I said don't laugh . . . I sit on a low stool and they all hide under me until they are ready to run around . . .

Quote:
I would keep them cooped up for a week anyway to allow them to adapt to their new home, learn their roost and feather out more as debiraymond has commented. Also to avoid having to catch them and put them to bed as briteday has commented.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom