Bringing newborn Silkies outside for some sun

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by EyesOnSunday, Apr 14, 2012.

1. EyesOnSunday

EyesOnSunday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Newton, NH
    Hello,

Let me just start off by saying this website is absolutely amazing and so helpful! I have no desire to look anywhere else for answers!

Anyway...

I just got my Silkies yesterday and they are about 6 days old. It is supposed to be beautiful and sunny this weekend between 70 and 80 degrees. I am wondering if they are too young to bring outside for some sun or even have their brooder in the shade for some fresh air.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If there's little/no wind, and it's nice and warm, take them out for a bit of playtime!! If they start to huddle or peep in a distressed way, they probably need to go back to their lamp. Also, anytime I allowed mine outside, I made sure they had grit available. Grass is tough, and if they sample a bit (although they probably won't yet), they may need something to help grind it up. Have fun!!

3. EyesOnSunday

EyesOnSunday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Newton, NH
    Thanks for the advice! I have to go get grit. I don't have any yet. I have 12 of the most mind numbingly adorable silkie chicks in existence and I have no idea how I am going to decide which ones to keep. Any words of wisdom? I wish there was a way to attempt sexing them but I heard the wing thing doesn't work unless they were bred that way.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Absolutely NO words of wisdom...lol. Silkies are notoriously hard to sex. Some you may not know until they're a few months old and start crowing. Others may be easier. Look for streamers coming off the crests (long string-like feathers bent backward like they're being blown in the wind) and thicker legs/ankle areas in cockerels. Hatchery silkies are often easier to sex earlier than really well bred silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by