Bringing some hens home

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chickenfever, Oct 25, 2008.

1. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Last week at our local pumpkin festival, the chicks in the petting zoo were for sale. The breeder informed me that he would be bringing some hens this weekend to sell.
    I have chicks that are 13 weeks old and I am dying for some eggs. I am seriously considering going back today and getting some hens. Do you think this would be a bad idea? I don't really have a separate coop to quarantine them in, so i would have to rig something up. Do you think a large dog house in a small fenced in area would work OK temporarily for 2-3 chickens until I know they are disease free? Or should I just be patient and not do this?

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Get the chickens! Get the chickens!!
    The dog house in fenced area will do just fine!!
    Get the chickens! Get the chickens!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Doghouse worked absolutely great for me for my whole first year or so of keeping birds. We had a big house from a giant saint bernard. Got it for free, and by the end of the year it happily housed nine birds. or maybe it was seven?

If you get them, DO quarantine.

good luck!

4. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks guys. I'm getting more excited about this after reading your replies! I guess I just needed a little support. Now I've just got to go find a box to bring them home in!!!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quarantine
    Quarantine
    Quarantine

Can't stress this enough.
    Otherwise you risk your entire flocks lives.

By all means, get more chickens, but follow Quarantine guidelines.

6. chickenfever

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    OK, I did a search on here about quarantine for new birds. Now I'm scared to bring home any new birds. I don't know if it's worth it, even if I quarantine. And you have to quarantine for so long! I think I shouldn't do it now, I've just answered my own post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by