Bringing the girls outside - Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickyNicky05, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ChickyNicky05

ChickyNicky05 Chirping

Mar 30, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Hello! I am new to chickens and have 3 girls who are about 4.5 weeks old and are still in their inside brooder. The light is off most of the time now as we have waited them off of it and we have brought them outside during nice weather a few times but I am unsure of when they can be permanently moved outside? We still get some cold nights that go down into the 30s so I am worried it is still too cold? The weather in New England is crazy, we had snow this morning and now it is beautiful and sunny. Any suggestions??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's probably a little young unless you have electric in the coop.
    I'd wait another week or two because 3 chicks huddling may not be able to keep each other warm enough without a heat source. That said, I've had chicks that age escape into the woods at night when it was quite cold, only to have them show up in the morning.

ChickyNicky05 likes this.
  3. drewsk

drewsk In the Brooder

Mar 8, 2018
    If you can supplement heat in the coop for the next 2 weeks they should be just fine out there.
    With only 3 of them there's not much heat for them to pile up together quite yet.
    All that said, our 5 week chicks are out in the MN winter with a heat lamp in the coop keeping it just above 32 in the coop. (There's 4 of them)

ChickyNicky05 and ChickenCanoe like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: