Bringing the quails outdoors!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shimzilla, Feb 2, 2014.

1. shimzilla

shimzilla Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Ok so im planning on building an aviary for my 5 Italian quails (4hens 1 male), has anyone found and plants they particularly like for shelter or any they defo should stay away from for that matter. also whats the best way for keeping out predators, I usually dig chicken wire quite far underneath, we have had chickens and ducks taken by foxes in the past and get a lot of rats here to.
    Any one found a particular problem with them tolerating the cold?

cheers

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Don't use chicken wire. It can be chewed thru really easily by predators. Use hardware cloth. Predators can smell quail for miles away. So make sure you bury something deep. I like to use railroad ties for my aviaries. I bury one to the top and then place another one on top. Nothing will dig this deep. As long as there are no air holes to the inside from the outside, they will not dig. Predators smell for moving air.

Quail can tolerate incredibly cold temps, so that is not a problem. However make sure to acclimate yours before you take them out permanently.

I use fake christmas trees for cover. The need hidey places and don't like to be exposed. But any cut branches from trees will work. I did this for the first few years, but got tired of hauling out dead branches and cutting new. So I opted for fake trees.

You can build over grass and plants, however over time they will eat these. Quail love certain types of grasses. You will have to experiment on what types yours enjoy.

Good luck with your aviary and birds! Quail love the freedom and will live far longer in aviary style environments. I have some 7 year old birds that refuse to die. LOL Just keep going and going and going. LOL

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh, and make sure to incorporate shelter of some sort. I have one of my aviaries backed up to a greenhouse that has a hole cut into the wall and a rabbit hutch on the inside. They use this shelter during the winter nights, or when the weather is just not nice.

You might also put a roof over the entire thing to keep out the rain and snow. Wet conditions are NOT good for quail and can cause all sorts of health issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by