1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

brining older birdies

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by thebulg, May 24, 2016.

1. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    hey hey! i was wondering if brining helps at all when you aren't planning to shred an older bird? we had really good luck with a quartered year old rooster and coq au vin WITHOUT a brine, and i am wondering if anyone has noticed an improvement on older poultry with a brine. i know cooking and shredding is easier and sort of fool proof in terms of texture, but i would like to have options! i like me some options ;)

i'll probably give it a go either way because i like to experiment, but input would be great!

2. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Piscataway, NJ
    The nature of the Salt in the Brine is to Tenderize and helps retain Moisture. For older birds and game birds Brine definitely makes an improvement. Below is a recipe I have used over 25 years. Visiting family members ask for Chicken Dinners over Steak or Seafood...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt
    2T Paprika
    2T Gran. Garlic
    2T Gran. Onion
    2T Dry Thyme
    2T Black Pepper
    1C Vinegar (Any)
    1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional
    1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.
    Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.
    Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.
    This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

3. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    this is pretty much exactly the kind of reply i was looking for! thank you so much!!! i am excited to try this out!

4. Chef JimmyJ

Chef JimmyJ Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2015
    Piscataway, NJ
    I hope you like the result. The Brine will add all the salt needed so don't add any on the skin. Also if you save the pan drippings for gravy, they will be quite salty so use a stock or water, with no additional salt. Good Luck...JJ

5. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    that's a really relevant tip! we are going to try coq au vin blanc, so the gravy will be a central part of the dish! thank you for the heads up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by