Brining young roos

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Toast n Jelly, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I've been back and forth on brining, having read opposing views about loss of taste.

I'd like to hear from those that have tried both ways; brining and not brining, is there a loss of taste?

I've pieced the roos that I butchered last week to cook in sauces and broth so too late I guess for them, but would it be worth leaving them whole and brining for the next ones?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are you trying to add flavour or tenderness?

Slow cook them for tenderness, and they already are usually full of flavour.

I've only brined for a short period and never noticed any difference in tenderness when cooked for only 2 hours. Still tough as heck.

How have you tried to cook them?

3. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    After resting I put the leg quarters and breast in the freezer and made an amazing broth with the rest in a crock pot for 12 hours.
    These were done on Thursday last, weighed in at 3lbs each dressed at 4.5 months old.
    I made the most delicious chicken pot pie with the meat that fell off the bones and the broth. The broth was a bronze colour and excellent tasting.

Haven't decided how to cook the meaty parts yet.

4. aoxa

Crock pots are amazing things!!

Sounds delicious :)

5. Owingsia

Owingsia Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Saluda VA
    I always brine. I usually make up flavored brine based on what I want to cook the chicken with. Yesterday we had a Rosemary Lemon roast. I brined it with water, salt, rosemary, and lemon juice. After 24 hours I cooked it like normal with all the ingredients. Bird tasted so dang good!!!

When I BBQ I always buttermilk brine and the chicken comes off the grill so moist. I have not had a flavor issue with my brine although I have not tried a strait water/ salt brine.

6. aoxa

[​IMG]

I want to make goats milk butter, and could use the buttermilk leftover to do just that. Sounds delicious :)

7. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC

8. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Sounds like something that I'd like. I've used buttermilk with store bought chickens and that's excellent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by