Brinsea 20 advance temp

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by longranger, Aug 4, 2009.

1. longranger

longranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    How accurate are the thermostat and hygrometer on the Brinsea 20 advance. Did my first hatch with no backup thermometer at 99.6 degrees F. Hatched 8 of 14 eggs. Put a secondary thermometer in the unit today and it reads 1.5 degrees lower than the primary thermostat. I doubt that the prior hatch would have gone so well with the temp that far off but worry that the primary thermostat may be losing accuracy. Will probably have to use an expensive certified thermometer to get peace of mind. Any one else have useful information on this particular bator with regards to temp? It is 5 days into 15 turkey eggs.

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:If the first batch of eggs was shipped a 50% would be average for a hatch rate.

3. longranger

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    They were shipped so I was very happy with the hatch, however the whole hatch seemed to be about 24 hrs late. Normal once started but late. Have a second thermo in the bator now just to say I did. Until I use a certified calibrated thermometer I won't be completely sure.

4. longranger

Apr 23, 2009
    laguna hills CA
    Well I made it official. Used to calibrated medical thermometers from work. My particular 20 advance consistently registers a temp 1.2 degrees F higher than the actual temp at the top of eggs in the bator. Adjusted it obviously. My hopes are not high for the Turkey eggs but will give them a week and candle.

So lessons to be shared learned. Moving to a more expensive incubator don't assume that the instrument is perfectly calibrated. Also check the calibration before starting each new hatch. Pretty basic common sense stuff but having a new toy can dull the senses, at least for me:/

5. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    Thanks so much for the info....I just bought one the these and just started my first hatch. Good to know! Thanks again for sharing.

6. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    I noticed the similar with mine, the temp at the top of the eggs is about 1 degree lower than
    the temp registering on the digital display, probably to be expected since hot air rises.
    I adjusted the thermostat for 100.6F for this hatch, but the next hatch I'll recalibrate the
    digital display.

7. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    !st time using this Brinsea 20 Advanced, and I noticed the temps at the top of the eggs was alot lower than the reading at the digital display.
    I incubated at 100.6F degrees in the digital display, and my turkey eggs did not hatch until day 28, 29 & 30
    So obviously don't trust the digital display.... I'll recalibrate before my next hatch.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  8. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

My new Brinsea is low too. After increasing the digital temp to 100, I read 99.6 at the top of the eggs, but it is in the 98's below that point. Am I ok to leave it as is?

I am really surprised at the temp differences with a fan circulating. I feel like I'm dealing with a still-air :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by