Brinsea 20 Eco Users.. How do you turn?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Puddle Foot Farm, May 18, 2010.

1. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Okay y'all! I'm going to set 15 goose eggs sometime this week, and right now I'm storing them in my brinsea 20 eco. I've never incubated in this before, but I got it just because you don't have to open it to turn it.

So, just wondering, how do you actually turn it? I know you pivot it back and forth between two positions, but do you turn it from the "rest" position to a forward or back position, or do you turn it from a forward position to a back position? I tried turning it the second way and the eggs seemed a bit unstable. Should I make the bar tighter or what..? I don't want my eggs going flying, lol.

2. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I tilted the entire bator according to the bottom straight edges..from center to back, back to front, front to center..repeat

forgot..I had the bars pretty tight so the egs wouldn't move.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  3. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Thanks! I didn't know if they should be tight or if it would hurt eggs.. I guess it won't, as I'll be taking the bars out for hatching. [​IMG]

4. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Um.. quick question to all Octagon 20 ECO users out there... How do you like it?

I'm thinking about getting it as my first incubator what are your thoughts please?

Sorry to hijack Puddle Foot Farm [​IMG]

5. Puddle Foot Farm

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    It's fine! I've only heard good things about it. [​IMG] I had a horrid hatch in a borrow LG, so I got my Brinsea for christmas. Haven't been able to use it let, but I'm putting 15 goose eggs straight from my backyard in it this week.

The best part about it, according to some people, is the fact that you don't have to open it to turn. also, I believe you can finagle it so that you don't even have to open it to add humidity. There's a thread on it from when it first came out somewhere.. I'll dig it up and link to it. [​IMG]

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I use the 3 positions each as a turning (forward, center, back). I also go in and hand turn them as often as I can, I just don't think the tipping makes the best turning.

7. cluckers&quackers

cluckers&quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    Vermont
    I just tipped according to the flat edges, and made sure I went all directions each day. I love mine, my 1st hatch was a 100% hatch rate, I even staggered my hatch, in the end everyone hatched [​IMG]

8. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Thanks! and cluckers&quackers does that mean you did it like everyones else? Front, Flat (middle), Back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by