Brinsea 20 ECO

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sben451, Apr 1, 2009.

1. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    Is anyone using one of these incubators? I just recently bought one, and I like the set up. The temperature is very steady. I filled both troughs with water and humidity is only around 35%. How can I increase the humidity a bit higher?? There's not much extra room in one of these incubators to add sponges, more water, etc.

2. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    HI
    I have the Brinsea 20 Advanced so it has the digital read outs but other than that is the same thing.
    I cut some strips of terry cloth (towel) and laid it on the bottom with one end dipped into the trough of water.
    It wicks out moisture and gives a larger evaporation area, raising the humidity.
    Every efficient so I am using a thin strip right now.

I have 24 eggs in the incubator on day 7 right now. Holding steady on humidity with this method and easy to raise or lower depending on how much 'surface' I add.

I plan on adding a much larger section of towel material when I get to day 18 and need to raise the humidity significantly

hope that helps

3. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    I am using one and have the same problem. Otherwise I love it. The temperature fluctuates about 0.2 degrees, that is it!
    I ordered another hygrometer from Amazon, not sure I trust the one I got at Walmart.
    I have the vent 1/4 open, and added a small cloth that I soaked with water to one of the trays, not touching any e~g~g~s. I only have 17 duck e~g~g~s in mine. Humidity is between 50 and 60% when I do that.
    For hatching, I am going to put a cloth that hangs down into both water troughs and so increases the surface area. I am going to get a tiny tube that I can thread through that little hole in the back with water drops next to it to add water without opening the incubator. I am on day 8, will post pics once I have it set up. You could do this and only have the cloth over 1/4 of the length, then increase for hatching as needed.

Thank you for starting this thread, I was going to post something soon to see how others with this incubator were doing!

4. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Oh, I like this idea too!

5. Jbirds

Jbirds New Egg

Mar 18, 2009
    I just got one also, that is what I was just about to look at,the humidy issue,going to wallys today for a digital readout for it,however not sure if I trust that either..

6. raindrop

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Look on Amazon, I found one that is a little black rectangle, looks like it will fit okay. I was only 15-16$. Good reviews, all the cigar people love it!
    It was more than the one from Walmart, but the one I have from there reads the temperature about 2 degrees low so I don't trust it. Another similar one that I looked at at Walmart said it had a +/- 5% error on humidity. The one I ordered from amazon was only +/- 1%.

7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I looked at the evaporation pads that Brinsea sells for these incubators, but do not have time to order them (I have 24 eggs that I started yesterday). So I improvised with some hospital type cleaning towels--they're like a really thick paper napkin or paper towel. I cut a piece about 5 inches wide and about 8 inches long. I put the long side into one of the water channels and let the rest fold over on to the bottom of the incubator. It seems to be helping. Last time I checked the humidity reading was 42% (previously with both channels of water, it was only around 32%.

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    If there isnt room for extra stuff maybe try adding humidity to the room witha humidefire.

9. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    I just received my Brinsea Eco today. I am impressed with this incubator! Unbelievably simple and compact. Just plugged it in and waiting to see if the temp gets to the right spot. I have had many incubators and this by far is the coolest one ever! For 99.00 you cannot beat it. I love the cover with screw feature protecting the temp being adjusted by "grandchildren".

If this thing works as advertised, I don't see the other incubator manufacturers being able to match the pricing/functionality of this bator with what is on the market today.

Guess you can tell I am excited .............. Oh, and it is totally quiet on top of all of the other positives so it can stay in the bedroom and no one will even know it is there.

Please keep up the postings and experiences with the Eco so we can all learn .........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by