Brinsea arrived but disappointed with instructions - can someone answer a few questions for me?

sunflowerparrot

Songster
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Winfield, KS
There wasn't any information in the instructions on how to turn the eggs if you didn't have the automatic turner. I have the Octogon - how far do I turn it? I assume I turn it just once toward me - then straight up - the back away from me - then straight up - etc.. correct? Also - how often do I change the position? (I will be setting the eggs tomorrow)

How do I fill the water area? If I have to open the incubator each time I fill it, doesn't that change the humidity drastically? Or is there an area to fill without opening?

The instructions didn't explain these 2 issues - thanks!

Any other advice, suggestions, tips, etc. would be more than welcomed :) This is my first time ever incubating eggs! I'm just doing a barnyard mix...

You should mark the eggs. I put a cross on one side and a circle on the opposite side, then lay them flat. Turn them 3-5 times a day, if the circle is on top, turn it so the cross is on top. That way you'll also be able to see which eggs you've turned.
I'm afraid I can't advice you on the water fill issue as I'm not familiar with that incubator, but if you can do it as quick as you can the humidity shouldn't drop too much. Same with the turning. Try as be as quick as you can.
Good luck with your hatch!

You should mark the eggs. I put a cross on one side and a circle on the opposite side, then lay them flat. Turn them 3-5 times a day, if the circle is on top, turn it so the cross is on top. That way you'll also be able to see which eggs you've turned.
I'm afraid I can't advice you on the water fill issue as I'm not familiar with that incubator, but if you can do it as quick as you can the humidity shouldn't drop too much. Same with the turning. Try as be as quick as you can.
Good luck with your hatch!

Now I'm confused :) I actually need to open the incubator and handle each egg and flip it back and forth as well as rock the incubator for turning too? I thought I just tipped the incubator and that was enough for turning...??

No, you can pull the brinsea towards you then straight up then push away and keep repeating that making sure they change position three times a day. This is assuming you are setting the eggs up and down (pointy end down, fat end up). if you lay them on their side you need to hand turn them as suggested above.

Get some aquarium tubbing to add water to the water wells in the bottom of the brinsea (if you are choosing to run a wet incubation). Personally we run a dry incubation and add water at lockdown.

The temperature dropped to 80 over night! I am having a very difficult time getting it back up - I unplugged the entire unit for a minute and plugged it back in... I put another glass thermometer in my tray and it is now reading 100 but the brinsea thermometer is reading 90... I think I've lost my first ever batch and I'm not happy at all with this thing - could there be a heating problem? Also, the lid doesn't close all the way - it overhangs when I Put it on and have to fiddle a lot with it to get it to shut tightly...

I'm thinking I got a Brinsea Dud :(

Back
Top Bottom