brinsea auto turner died, are my eggs damaged?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Jul 24, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    day 11 of incubation,(4 days ago) i notice the auto turner isnt working...no idea when it stopped either [​IMG] its only 6 months old. emailed brinsea but have yet to hear anything back (its still under warranty) anybody know what will happen with the eggs? ive been turning them by hand for 4 days....are they likely to be 'stuck' to the side of the shells? anything i can do to help them?

also anybody know what will brinsea do? will i have to send the turner back to them? back to the shop i bought it (which is the other side of the country!!) or will they collect it at their cost?

2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

When you're turning by hand, you should turn them a 1/3 turn three times each day (about every 8 hours).

If you've been turning them, they should be just fine! Lots of people don't have turners. :)

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    They will be fine I have never had a turner

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    what i mean is, its possible they were stuck in the same position for the first 11 days, wont that mean they may be stuck to the shell? i only started turning by hand on day 11 when i realised the turner wasnt working [​IMG]

5. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    If you have the Octagon 20 ECO the design is really well suited for hand turning. You just advance to the next angle by hand. On the other types you will need to turn by hand. Many people write an X on one side of the egg to know which end is up so to speak. I would just keep a note pad close by and jot down time and marking to keep track. Many users never get a turner and do the hand turning with great results. When it comes to warranty return you will most likely have to pay the shipping to them, not unlike driving across town to the store for a traditional return. I have always heard they are great to work with.

I just completed the most nerve wracking hatch. There were a dozen LF eggs that I purchased from a breeder and when I picked them up I added some eggs that were going to be tossed as the broody was moving on. She had been on the eggs for two days. Asked if I should keep these eggs in a different incubator and was told no, I should be fine... well there I am at day 16 and notice that there is a faint peep noise coming from the bator... yep, a bantam Faverolle hatched all alone and the turner was going. I had to make some decisions so I took the lone peep out. Put the top back on my ECO 20 and let it keep going. An hour later the other "free" blue eggs had a hatch. Lock down for my purchased eggs was for about 3 days later to I turned off the turner. From there I had one to two peeps a day on both of the bantam and the Lavender Amer. On my regular lock down day I filled the other well shut the vent and let it go. Considering the early eggs It was a very successful hatch.

8 of 14 Faverolles
    6 of 7 Lavender Americaunas
    4 of 6 Bantam Faverolles

The moral of my hatching tale is that its not always to the letter perfect and you can still have a great hatch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:It's hard to say since you don't know exactly when the turner stopped working.. I always check mine several times a day just because I have never used an auto turner and want to make sure it doesn't die on me.. (i double check temps at the same time)..

As for Brinsea.. have you tried calling customer service?

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i cant find a number for belgium and am not ringing the us/uk numbers from here...far too expensive. i rang the store where i got it from but they are closed on a sunday

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:unfortunately their "go to UK, Europe & rest of the world" link only has a UK number... you would think they would have some sort of toll free number for international orders...

this page does have Belgium distributors.. so if all else fails maybe try calling one of them and see if they can advise you as to what to do
    http://www.brinsea.co.uk/worldwide-distribution/

under "returns" it has a UK address.. so I have a feeling that's who you would end up having to talk to if it comes down to having to call

9. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Quote:Do you have a facebook account? They are very responsive to inquiries posted directly on their facebook page if you connect with them by Liking their page. They may be able to send you the connection number for your country via that route.

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    great idea, have posted on there now [​IMG]
    apparantly there is also a brinsea uk facebook page but i cant seem to find that one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by