Brinsea death

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TurkenMomma, Sep 19, 2016.

1. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I had a chick hatched yesterday in my brinsea mini advance. It seemed to be doing very well and had not been out of the shell for a little over 24 hours. I came home this afternoon from work and found it dead in the incubator. Since I was gone all day, I'm not sure what happened but I found the chick lying with its beak up close to the little sprocket? I just thought it was a strange place for it to die and I'm not sure if it was just coincidence or if that might've had something to do with it? Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Hmmm, wish I could help, but I've never seen a Brinsea bator....

Is it possible the chick overheated or dehydrated? Does the bator have good air flow?

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Were the temp and humidity readings as you expected, when you returned?

4. TurkenMomma

Apr 22, 2015
    That's the strange part. It has great airflow and the temperatures and humidity always stay consistent. The chick was also dry when I left and was with another chick, that was still alive.

5. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Wow, I'm so sorry. That's a let down, to get a chick and loose it in the same day.... I wonder if something was wrong with it to begin with....How are the others doing? Assuming there are others...?

6. TurkenMomma

Apr 22, 2015
    These eggs came in an order of shipped eggs. They were lost in the mail for two weeks. Amazingly, two eggs developed! The other egg hatched and that chick has been thriving. The chick that died seemed perfectly fine. It's definitely a head scratcher!

7. n8ivetxn

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    This is what would happen to me! Only mine would fail to develop!....A head scratcher indeed...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by