1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea ECO 10 Staggered Hatch HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roscoe1982, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Roscoe1982

Roscoe1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Hello

I currently have 2 Bantam eggs in my Incuabator due to hatch in 4 days time. I also have 3 more banatam eggs that were placed in the incubator 4 days ago.

I dont have another incubator to use for hatching but does anyone have any tips for just using the one incubator to hatch them all.

Many thanks

Al

2. Chubby Chicken

Chubby Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Take your chicks out fast, and don't add any more eggs. The last two days are supposed to be spent without opening the incubator. How are you going to turn the new eggs when the first batch is on lock down. Chicken restraint is hard.

3. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

It's always best to have at least 2 incubators if you're doing staggered hatchings but since you don't, stop the turner (if you have one on our Brinsea...and hopefully you do since this is a very useful tool) at the 18 day mark for the older eggs and quickly open the hatcher to turn the new eggs three times a day.

I understand the continued postings regarding lockdown but frankly, I check eggs during lockdown (and yes, these are Bantam eggs and are from my own chickens) and still have a very successful hatch rate even doing this. The rate may go down if you are using eggs that you've had shipped in but this may have more to do with shipping problems than anything else.

Still, if you are going to do staggered hatchings in the future, it would be a good ideal to pick up a second incubator to use during lockdown.

Gail

4. Roscoe1982

Roscoe1982 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Thanks for the replies

I have the Brinsea ECO so have to turn them manually.

The first 2 eggs to hatch are from a friend but the other 3 are my own from my Bantam Poland Frizzle.

Should i add more water to the second half of the pot at day 18?? or keep it the same??

Al

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by