1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Eco 20 Incubator Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FinelyFeathered, Jan 24, 2013.

1. FinelyFeathered

FinelyFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Northern Ohio
    I just purchased a Brinsea Eco 20 bator. Very excited to set eggs soon. My question is do i need to purchase a hygrometer to put in with the eggs to measure? Only thing in it is the thermometer and now im confused if i should use a hygrometer as well. Looking inside i am not seeing where one would fit. Anyone use this bator? Advise please!!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The unit does not come with one, but many folk buy one off ebay or at a better pet shop. There is a digital model that is roughly the size of a silver dollar. You will want to start up the machine and dial it in. The assumption that they come "pre set" isn't the case. You'll have to tweak the temperature, 1/8 turns, until it stays steady on the 99.8, or just below 100. During this shake down cruise, you can also put your hygrometer in it and see what your humidity is. Add water to one or both of the troughs and allow the humidity to steady and watch your gauge.

I'd recommend a two day shake down before setting your eggs.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. FinelyFeathered

Dec 31, 2012
    Northern Ohio
    Thank you thank you!! this one is not the digital one. LoL when i bought it i thot i was buying the digital one..**Sigh** Headed over to ebay to get a hydrometer!! Thank you again for the advise!! How was your hatch rate with this bator?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We now have three of these "manual" models. We are extremely pleased with their steady performance. If we wanted to do larger hatches, we'd like use the top of the line Hovabator with clear top and auto turner.

5. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
  6. FinelyFeathered

Dec 31, 2012
    Northern Ohio
  7. Texasmja

Texasmja Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Your welcome! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by