brinsea eco 20 lock-down question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poularde, May 20, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I am hoping to get some advice. [​IMG] I am using a brinsea 20 eco for incubating. I have 8 eggs on day 6. I really want to get some special eggs to add in probably close to day 10-12 for the first eggs. I manually turn the eggs with this incubator by rotating the incubator. I do not have to open the incubator. So my question is if my first eggs are in lock-down would it hurt them to continue rotating them? Will the eggs be hurt being moved or is the lock-down just for humidity. Would I have to be really concerned about the first chicks hatching and hurting the second batch? I hope my question makes sense. I really want these new eggs and I might not have another opurtunity this year. This is only my second hatch and I do not want to make it to complicated. I really want those eggs.[​IMG] I suppose i could purchase another incubator but my incubator I have definitely has enough room.

2. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Are you using the rails or egg cartons?

I would put the 2nd batch of eggs in an egg carton while the 1st batch is hatching.
    If you buy that rubbery shelf liner and lay the eggs on it to hatch the hatching eggs won't roll around as much. And the chicks have a firm surface to walk on compared to the slippery plastic grating.
    The Brinsea needs help getting the humidity up at lockdown so have matting material or felt ready to sit in the wells and cover the whole bottom, under the grate.
    It's doable! good luck

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    You definitely do NOT want to turn eggs in lockdown. You could probably sneak in and turn them by hand (opening the incubator) up until the first pip, but then they'll have to fend for themselves. During lockdown the chicks are positioning for hatching, moving them then can really mess them up.

I've done a staggered hatch, I put up a barrier between the sets so that the newly hatched chicks didn't spread grime all over the eggs. You'll want to clean the incubator after the hatch is done, I just set aside the eggs, cleaned it really quick and then got them right back in.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just can't imagine doing a staggered hatch in my Brinsea. Just me I suppose.

5. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Quote:I am thinking twice. Thank you brendapa and lemurchaser for the advise. The whole idea makes me pretty nervous. If I decide to attempt this I will post my results. I may just chicken out. [​IMG]

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:I am thinking twice. Thank you brendapa and lemurchaser for the advise. The whole idea makes me pretty nervous. If I decide to attempt this I will post my results. I may just chicken out. [​IMG]

Cute dog Poularde! Good luck with the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by