Brinsea eco 20 questions..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by funnybirds, Nov 29, 2010.

1. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    Hi again,
    Got my incubator in the mail today. WOOOOOTTTTT![​IMG]

Couple of questions though:

1. When you put those wire egg holders in , how tight do the eggs need to be. It says no pressure from the wire on the eggs but don't they have to be in there pretty good for turning?
    Which brings me to question 2.
    Do you turn the whole incubator over one octagon place when turning? Boy this seems risky to me...Especially if the eggs aren't in there all that firmly. Do they stay in pretty good?

So far ,so good. It's holding a steady 99 degrees and 39 % humidity with one well full.

AWESOME![​IMG]

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    1) Put the first egg in place and then put the wire down just outside it. It can touch the egg, just not press on it.
    2) Yes. As long as the wire is down securely (you may feel that it wiggles a little when the tray is out, but when you set the tray in place the wires should be pretty firm) the eggs may sort of fall a tiny bit (you hear a chorus of tiny little ticks) when you turn it, but they shouldn't fall more than a fraction of an inch and it shouldn't hurt them. The right way to set them is small-end-down all in a row, so what you're seeing is a bunch of big ends (not a bunch of eggs on their sides, in other words). They rock back and forth to meet the wire but no more than a centimeter or so. I wouldn't go throwing the incubator from side to side and crashing them all around, but as long as you're doing it smoothly they won't get hurt.

Turn the temp up a tiny bit - 99.5 or 99.75 is what you want. Mine holds that in a cool room when the little divot in the temperature stem is at about 1:00; in a warm room most people run it at 12:00.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I currently have 11 in it on day 15. I started rotating mine.. but I decided on day 3 just to turn by hand.. I have the lid off for about 45 seconds top, 3x daily. Temp returns quickly as well as RH.

I'm going to try that this hatch, and then turning the whole unit on the next. I am only using 1 rail to devide between Bantams and Standards.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by