brinsea eco 20 semi auto

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay781, Oct 18, 2016.

1. jay781

jay781 New Egg

Oct 16, 2016
    hi iv decided to buy a brinsea eco 20 semi auto direct from brinsea £80 including delivery and vat iv looked at reviews seem to be very good i also can get a brinsea octagon 20 advance for £160 fully automatic is this alot better then the eco 20 octagon? has anyone here used the brinsea octagon 20 eco and how was your experience using this incubator?.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I started with a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco and traded it in for the fully auto version (Advance 20). While the Eco prices at about half what the Advance costs, I think the Advance has some advantages worth serious consideration: temperature alarm, automatic cooling, autoturner, and most importantly IMO, digital controls. If you like fiddling with knobs to adjust temperature, then the Eco should be fine - and you'll need a thermometer and hygrometer to do manual readings. The auto-cooling feature in the Advance is a nice feature, especially for duck eggs, which I think really benefit from daily cooling.

As a more experienced hatcher, I'd probably just buy the Eco now, since I have multiple thermometers and hygrometers and prefer to be more hands-on (manually turning, misting, cooling). I'd recommend the Advance for novices or people wanting a more "set and forget" (but not really forget) unit, but I think most people would be pleased with the Advance.

4. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    I have the brinsea octagon 20 eco. I have been very pleased with my hatches in it. The biggest limitation is the size. While it will easily hold 24 eggs for incubating, hatching is a little tricky. I end up opening the lid to remove chicks and shells just to make more room for those yet to hatch.
    If I had the money, I'd upgrade to the 40.
    The eco 20 is great for a Dozen eggs though!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    Brinsea have a new range of bators that may be worth considering- think they come in eco, semi snd advance versions

6. FoodFreedomNow

x2! I once hatched 22 chicken eggs in my Advance and won't do that again. I bought a styrofoam unit for a hatcher, so I could fill the Brinsea w/24 and move them to the hatcher at lockdown.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I too wish I had bought the 40 and not the 20 :p

I'm waiting for some reviews on these new models :pop

8. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I got 30 polish in my 20 advance, it sure was packed :eek:

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I read a post from one member who made a styrofoam cabinet but made to fit a brinsea advance small version lid to incubate a heck of alot of eggs! Great idea IMO

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  10. FoodFreedomNow

I bet it was! lol I loaded up mine with 24 the first time I used it and, to my surprise, all made it to lockdown. It was an unholy mess in there with empty shells and chicks, and I was new to incubation so I didn't dare open that incubator. One egg's external pip was sealed by a piece of an empty shell that stuck over it while the chicks were rolling the eggs around and the chick died in shell...wish I had gone in and taken out the empty shells, at least. Now I know I can open the incubator with impunity! Just kidding - but it can be done with some steps taken to mitigate the humidity loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by