Brinsea Eco Glow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thecreekhouse, Jan 19, 2019.

1. thecreekhouse

thecreekhouse Songster

Feb 26, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Has anyone used this product? Will it accommodate chicks’ size until they’re ready to go without heat or is it too low to the ground? I’d love to hear your pro and negative experiences with the Eco Glow.

2. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    No experience with the Ecoglow. I have a Premier 1 brooder plate. They're less expensive than the Brinsea and easier to adjust the height than the Ecoglow 20. (You won't get 20 chicks under an Ecoglow 20, but you're not going to get 15 chicks under the Premier extra small or 20 under the small, either.)) Don't know of any negative experiences with any brooder plates. I'm sure you'll be happy with any brooder plate you get. They're a thousand times better than a heat lamp IMO.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  3. Missbc

Missbc Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    I’ve used the brinsee and used it a couple of years ago for 17 chicks. After a day or so, I gave a bunch of chicks to a friend and kept five or six (was temporarily holding her share of the free chicks.)

Anyway, it works fine. As they grew, they liked to use the top to stand on and of course they pooped on it when they were up there.

I just bought the premier 1 and it seems like it’s designed better. It’s on four adjustable legs instead of just two legs. The brinsea has a leg on two sides that makes it into basically a tunnel with two openings. The premier allows for four openings. It’s much easier to adjust the legs on the premier unit, and it has a cover for the top that discourages hopping on.

They both work though. Seeing the “fan” of sleeping chicks just outside each of the brinsea openings was awfully cute.

Mimi’s 13 and imnukensc like this.
  4. mamamage

mamamage Songster

Jan 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    i love this heat plate! ive used it twice. just make sure you have enough room under there to accommodate you amount of chicks. they sell the large ones and you can double up if you have to! they save on electricity and give you so much piece of mind about the house not catching on fire. if you use it, tape something on top like parchment paper because they will poop ALL OVER IT and it gets stuck all in the lettering and every nook and cranny.:he

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  5. imnukensc

imnukensc Songster

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    I just use Press N Seal on the top of mine. Easy on and off for clean up.

6. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    I use Premier 1’s large heating plate (for 50) chicks. I am using it for 8 chicks right now. I also purchased the temperature controller so I can turn the heat down as the chicks feather out.

There are so many pros to this heat plate, but I’ll only list a few:
    • Height easily adjusts from 1.5” to 6”
    • Open on all four sides
    • Can make one side lower to accommodate different sized chicks
    As far as raising your Eco Glow, you could set it on bricks or pieces of 2x4.

Either heat plate is much better than the heat lamp, which I did use with my very first set of chicks, in my house no less. :oops:

The 8 chicks using it now are between 1 and 3 days old. :love
    2771E1EC-16BB-4FA4-A398-B71675631382.jpeg

Missbc likes this.
  7. mamamage

mamamage Songster

Jan 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    you can also raise the ecoglo, it has 4 settings for height! :)

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

I just bought a Premier for 3 Runner duckling that are coming end of April I already turned it on(test run) and it’s very sturdy and comes with a dome top so no getting on the top of this one. @Mimi’s 13 i love your set up? Where did you get the enclosure?

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  9. Mimi’s 13

Mimi’s 13 fuhgettaboutit

Jan 6, 2018
    Centre, AL
    It is a puppy playpen and you can get them on Amazon! Duh, what can’t you get on Amazon? :gig

Mine is not the largest, but I wish I had the largest one. It is just fine for these 8 chicks, but last year when I had 26 chicks <gulp> it was not large enough, so I hurriedly built a brooder out of plywood.

I didn’t buy the dome top. I know it gets messy up there, but those chicks certainly loved sprawling out up there last year. I just used Press and Seal on top.

I would suggest you go ahead and order the Temperature Controller. It will give you the ability to dial down the heat a bit, which is very nice. They are only $12.

Best of luck with your little clucks. I want to add a few to my backyard...after I get all my chicken stuff built and perfected. :lau We had Pekins several years ago, before chickens. Ducks are really more loving than chickens, IMHO! :love

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Should have known Amazon. lol I'll have to go back and order the Temperature controller I looked at them then totally forgot. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Mimi’s 13 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: