Brinsea ECO Mini ...Manual Incubator fits ten eggs contraption

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by write2caroline, Jun 21, 2016.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    So after a very long Hiatus and losing my chickens to a fox a long while ago - I decided to buy an incubator and hatch some eggs.
    It just shipped and I have never done this before soooo. Kind of Nervous.

My eggs are to arrive around the week of July 4th from my pet chicken - really hoping I don't get all roosters but prepared if I do.

My question is :
    I read you need to let the eggs sit for 12-24 hours but can I let them sit longer?
    How long is too long?
    When counting the 21 days - I was thinking when I let my broody sit eggs - the day I placed them under her was day Zero but they hatched day 20 so is my day zero really Day 1?
    I let my broodies hatch eggs a few times but sadly I have no chickens anymore.
    Caroline

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but it's good to hear you're getting back into the hobby now! I hope the incubation and hatch will go well for you.

You can let the eggs rest longer, but since they're shipped and you don't know how old they are, I'd suggest you wait not too much longer than 24 hours before setting them. As the eggs get older, their chances of hatching drops and after 10 days it drops significantly, so sooner is better. Once they've settled, candle them and check for air cell damage, etc. Sally Sunshine wrote a piece on hatching shipped eggs and possible air cell damage in her article here, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Sometimes it does happen that eggs hatch a day early or late. I've had broody hens hatch eggs on days 18 all the way through to day 25! Count the first 24 hours as day 1 and take it from there.

Best of luck!

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I had a good test. I added water and plugged the thing in and it was 99 degrees every time I checked so I think it is good.
    Caroline

My eggs come next week. I cannot wait to get started.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by