Brinsea Eco vs. Advance vs. Advance Ex

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stekewood, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it. Does anyone have actual experience with all three "levels" of the brinsea incubators. I'm looking at the Octagon 20 and was curious how much of a difference each step up would actually make in the hatch rate. Would all the bells and whistles give better results than the Eco with the auto turn cradle, or is it just a more hassle free way to go?
    Thanks

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    It really does depend on how much you are willing to spend and how hands on you want to be with the incubator. I beleive the Eco does not come with the digital read out of temp and humidity. It has just the thermometer in the incubator and you have To add a hygrometer for humidity.

With the advance you get the digital read out of both. Plus with the advance you can add the humidity pump at a a later date so it's not such a big hit in the pocket all at once. I have the advance EX with pump and its a breeze of an incubator. Really is set and forget barring filling the water tank under the pump a couple of times during incubation. With the pump there is no more worrying about humidity plus you don't need to open the incubator for any reason other than candling the eggs. The pump keeps the humidity at an average which is critical for eggs during incubation. The advance model also has the cool down feature which replicates the hen leaving the nest to eat and drink etc.

Although Brinsea are more expensive they are well worth it.

Best of luck with your choice.

3. Stekewood

Stekewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2014
    Thanks, that's kind of what I figured. I guess since they are all basically the same incubator, the hatch rates can be just as good with the lesser models but it will require a bit more diligence and maintainence?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yes that's really the only difference. The Eco just needs a bit more watching. Let's put it this I wouldn't be disapointed with an Eco octagon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by