Brinsea Eco VS. Brinsea 20 Advance???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenlynn4, Feb 1, 2011.

1. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    What is your experience as to how good they both are? Is the Advance that much better to warrent the extra couple HUNDRED bucks? Or should I just go with the eco and get 3 of them for less than the price of one 20 advance???? WHAT DO YOU THINK?????? I NEED HELP TO DECIDE! [​IMG]

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY INPUT YOU CAN GIVE!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have the Eco with the turner and it is really easy to use. I don't regret getting it. I just bought my own extra thermometers and hydrometers and didn't think I needed the electronic display.

3. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I can't say one over the other since I am new to this too, but I bought the 20 advance and LOVE it. Eggs go in, you set the temp and humidity - only thing you have to do is refill the water tank. It keeps it at the right temp and humidity and when you open it to candle an egg the temp and humidity comes back really fast. I don't know how much they are now, but got the package on sale just after Christmas. First chicks are out and now have turkey eggs "cookin"[​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Well, the Octagon 20 Advance is "humidity pump ready" if you can't afford the pump, but the Eco model is NOT, so don't think you can upgrade the Eco model later, except to add the turner. That is, don't buy the Eco and then the turner, hoping to get the humidity pump later.

As to the humidity pump being worth it? Yup. I have three (3) Octagon20 Advance EX units, two (2) MiniAdvance EX units, and one MiniAdvance without the humidity pump. I only load that last one when the others are full/busy. It's a great 'bator, but I do love the Stupid Proof nature of the EX units.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  5. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I so agree about the "stupid proof" comment. Without it, I don't know if any of my first eggs would have hatched. (That goes without saying, that without the wonderful members of this forum and their advice, I'm sure I wouldn't have had any hatch. You guys are the greatest, and maybe some day I will be able to help others out too)[​IMG]

6. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I have one Eco 20 and one advanced. I want one more....and it will be the 20 Advanced.

I like the "set it and forget it aspect." My hubby & I both work full time and can't monitor it for much of the day.

Good luck - you can't lose!

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I still havent made up my mind....I want to order it toay, but I jut cant decide. UGGG:rolleyes:

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    The advance EX rocks. I need idiot proof - just set and forget. I tried hatching with a hovabator and I just don't have the time to be twiddling around with temps and humidities so for me the humidity pump is worth it!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. ellenaspen

ellenaspen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    OK...I'm totally new...my first post. You guys have talked me into ordering the more expensive Octagon 20 Advance EX. Do I need to order a turner or does that incubator have one already? What else should I go on and order? I am new to chickens...just got my first pullets last fall...but, I'm already hooked...[​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The "Advance" includes the turner. The "EX" includes the humidity pump. You're good to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by