Brinsea Humidity Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I have a new Brinsea with the humidity pump. It is working great but I would prefer to get the humidity closer to 45% and it's running at 56%. I have the vent opened and I set it for 45%. I'm also wondering why there is a flashing P by the humidity reading? I've read through the manual but it references nothing in regard to a flashing P.

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    It should run at the humidity you program it to, unless you added water in the bottom, don't add extra water. It is flashing because it is not at the humidity that you set it for, when it is at the right humidity it will stop flashing.

3. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Thank you! I had put water in it per the Bator manual but then realized according to the humidity pump manual I should not have added water. It's working like a charm! LOVE IT! Thanks again! [​IMG]

4. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    The "P" means that the program was interrupted. I get that message every time I unplug the unit to candle. It doesn't change anything. It is just letting you know in case there was a power failure or something.

I'm glad you already figured out not to add water to the unit itself.

Happy Hatching!

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The humidity pump can only raise the humidity, not lower it. So if at first it's too high, you just have to wait for the moisture on the humidity pad to dry up and the humidity to drop in its own time. It won't take more than a couple of hours. If the bator is not at the humidity or temperature you've programmed, you get a flashing asterisk (one of these: * ) beside either the humidity or the temp readout while it adjusts itself. That's to let you know that it's not broken, it's just working towards the settings you want. Like when you switch it on and it's getting up to temp, until it reaches 99.6 (or whatever you've got yours set at) you'll see a flashing asterisk beside the temp.

The flashing 'P' is like tennesseeckn says, it lets you know that the power has been off. So you see it when you first switch on the bator, and you'd see it if you'd had a power cut. You get it to go away by pressing and holding down the + and - buttons together for a couple of seconds.

Edited to give you a word of advice, which I just thought of when I remembered how mine beeps and flashes the P at me every time I candle, cause I switch the whole unit off while I'm doing it. Here's the thing: If you have your humidity set at, say 45%, and the humidity outside the bator is below that, if you take off the lid to candle your eggs and leave the bator running, the humidity sensor will register the drop in humidity and will pump like mad to raise it back up. By the time you put the lid back on you'll have a soaking wet humidity pad and humidity of something like 70% inside your bator, which will then take a few hours to dry up and drop back down. It doesn't do any terrible damage to the eggs but it's a bit of a pain in the ass, so I find it easier to switch the whole unit off before I take the lid off to candle my eggs. The Brinseas get back up to temp very quickly when you switch them back on. Hope that info helps you some...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by