Brinsea- humidity?

daniellenoel

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Vail Colorado
I have a Brinsea Octagon Advance. Just wondering about filling both water wells during the first 18 days? We live on Colorado where it is super dry. The humidity has been staying around 44% with water in both wells about half way or a little more.
I am wondering about how to up humidity for lock down when I already have both filled 3/4 of the way
I have read seomwhere on here people use a maxi pad.. anyone have advice on this? Do tell and explicit directions would help.
I have also read about sponges... tried that last year but they dried up quickly. More information or suggestions would be great.
I am only on day 1 but am just thinking ahead and wondering what I will need to purchase and have ready in a few weeks.
Thanks

I live in the desert in SoCal and it is very dry here too. I fill both water wells up to start with, and it usually registers about 55% to start with and then drops to 35-40%, which is really optimal!!!

Honestly, days 1-18 you can go as low as 10% and still be ok. Lockdown in dry climates is tricky. I use paper towels wadded up stuffed in empty spaces during lockdown. Thick ones. Or a sock - I have done that before too.

Being in a dry climate, you have to do what you have to do. Let me know if you run into issues. I am experienced with hatching in a dry climate.

I use a Brinsea in Colorado also. I do however have the humidity pump, which keeps perfect humidity. Filling the channels more won't necessarily give more humidity as its based more on surface area not volume. Use a paper towel or sponge. Brinsea also sells pads that you clip into the top that will help increase humidity as well.

Back
Top Bottom