Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Jan 12, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Who uses this &

Why would it be important to use on eggs that are going under a broody hen?

Where can you buy it?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks for the Double R website. [​IMG]

Any one know if this is a necessary thing to wash eggs before putting them under a broody (due to possible contamination)? [​IMG]

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I love this stuff. I clean my incubators with it. I also will disinfect my eggs before going into the incubator, and any eggs I buy. Also, if I buy eggs to put under a broody, I will disinfect them.

5. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sounds like a good thing.

If you don't use it, could those eggs contaminate your flock if they came from a place that had some disease/illnesses?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I would think so. If you are taking eggs that you purchased, and the flock had some sort of sickness, that was on the egg (not inside the egg), then putting it under a broody hen could contaminate your flock. This way, your safe.

7. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I planned on getting some Silkie eggs this week , but now the weather has taken a turn for the horrible worse! Extreme cold so I think I better hold off & that will give me some time to get the B.I.D. Thanks for the input! ~CK~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by