Brinsea incubator mini advance

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joza2210, Jun 23, 2010.

1. joza2210

joza2210 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Hello
    As you know I have the Brinsea incubator mini advance incubator and my eggs are hatching tomorrow ... Just wondering ... Do i take the egg disc out and place the eggs on a paper towel in the incubator ? Or should i just leave them on the egg disc ? And also if i have to put them on a paper towel when taking the egg disc out will it matter if the eggs turn over or anything ?

Thanks
    Josh [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's my understanding that "Lockdown" is the last two days of incubation THROUGH hatching. So you don't open the incubator to mess with it. The eggs hatch in the tray.

Of course, I may have the same incubator, but I haven't used it yet... I have, however, followed a lot of threads on the subject.

Let's hope other experts chime in and either corroborate what I've said, or correct me if necessary! [​IMG]

3. joza2210

May 5, 2010
    So should i just leave them on the egg tray ? And dont mess with them ?

4. joza2210

May 5, 2010
    I am just going to leave them on the egg tray ... Will it matter ?
    Thanks [​IMG]

5. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    I would leave it alone. It should be fine. I use a Brinsea ECO, and prepared little paper cups to place to eggs for lockdown; but later decided not to. I would be concerned if the chick suffocated on the paper towl or paper cups. These new chicks ' necks are weak; and the risk for suffocation is there. There chicks will do fine on flat surface.

Good luck!

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Read the directions that came with your Brinsea incubator....mine tells me to remove the egg tray at lock down. Also, when you remove the egg tray, put a paper towel on the floor for the chicks to have something their feet will grip on and not the slippery surface of the incubator. Be sure to cut a hole in the center of the paper towel so it fits over the water well in the center. Instructions also say to fill both sides of the water well to raise the humidity. Make sure you maintain that full water level. Your hatch will then be fine!

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Yes, you want to remove the turning tray. The directions say to do so.

Instead of a paper towel, I cut a piece of felt to fit so that the surface wasn't quite so slippery and smooth- A very smooth/slippery surface can make it hard for a chick to get its' feet under them and can cause spraddle leg.

The felt I used was yellow, so it blends in a bit, but here's a picture to give you a general idea.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by