Brinsea Incubator - Opinions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by TerriLaChicks, Dec 3, 2011.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Would the Brinsea Octagon incubator work OK for peacock eggs? I don't have $500 for a GQF Sportsman & have been unable to find a used one anywhere.

Any other recommendations under $300 or so, would be greatly appreciated. Or should I just invest in some cochin hens & let them foster the pea eggs instead?

Thanking you all in advance for any advice -- I greatly cherish my peacocks & I want to hatch every egg from them next spring that I can.

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Seriously, would appreciate opinions here -- what do you who do not have big peacock ranches use to hatch your eggs? I do NOT want to lost any this coming spring -- & that really isn't all that too far off, especially here in the deep South!!! I have got to get some plans put into place!!

3. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    I have the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 and it works good for peafowl eggs. I had a 100% hatch rate with the first use, and every time after that alway had 75% or higher hatch rate. I can fit around 12 eggs in at a times. Hope that helps.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    DON'T WASTE YOUR GOOD MONEY ON A BRINSEA.

I got the octogon 20 advance Ex with humidity control. The first two hatches went great.

NOW the thermostat is messed up and it never gets up to temp.

Wished I would have spent the money on a Dickey.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
  6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:[​IMG] I have 2 GQF Sportsmans and my Dickey's puts them to shame!

7. barryk

barryk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    I Have 2 Brinsea 380 advance bought them new last spring and and a Sportsman wich is only a couple years old. Usually average close to 85% hatch with my Sportsman and the Brinse hatches all the chicken and pheasant eggs great but but when I put my peafowl egggs in them I think my best hatch was about 70%, I use these incubators for only incubating and them hatch them in my Red Wood incubator. When I only had a few eggs my best hatches were from the Roll X, they are a liittle more expensive but they hatch eggs better than any thing I used before and they would still out perform what I use know but they dont hold enough eggs for me know. I dont know much about the oct 20 but I will not buy another Brinsea for peafowl but I dont have any complaints when incubating chicken and pheasant eggs with the Brinse.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I never used a Brinsea....roll-X is the best hatch rate for me, but i used it for parrot eggs more than any other eggs. doesn't hold that many peafowl eggs for the money. Broody hens work, but i would pull the chicks. Lot of us that hatched alot , use both broody hens(first week) and incubators. Wish you was not so far away...i have over 12 incubators that i no longer need. Shipping cost would be a arm and leg.

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I hatched a pea egg in my Brinsea ECO 20 last year. It was the only egg I had. Turned out to be a very pretty hen. [​IMG]

10. pacoiglesias

pacoiglesias New Egg

Nov 5, 2014
    i just got a brinsea octagon advanced ex is that good for peafow anyone can share the parameters to have suceess on that incubator? ?

thanks a lot

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by