Brinsea Incubator question - keeping mold out?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherz, Jul 26, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Just received my ebay Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX (w/humidity pump). Have it all set up and running and waiting for eggs due later this week. Is there any issue with mold building up inside this incubator and/or the humidity pump or tubing? I'm on well water - I didn't have anything growing in my hovabator after a 28 day guinea hatch, but then again my trays may have dried out once or twice. Is there something I should add to the water to keep any nasties out that won't hurt the eggs or the silicone tubing this thing uses? (Btw, it's great! popped right up to correct temp and humidity!).

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Um, I am using it for my third hatching cycle right now, and I haven't had any problems at all. The water tank, tubing all look as clean as day 1. My tap water is hard if untreated, and high in sodium through the water softener, so I did what is standard operating procedure for me with all appliances that require water, and that is to use bottled, distilled water. I merely replaced the little evaporator pad (which is basically a piece of thick paper toweling) for each new set of eggs because it looked like it could harbor bacteria, being a paper product.

I love this thing -- it's so much better than the stupid, unreliable foam hovabator I used to use.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Yah, I KNOW I should have used distilled water. I'll pick some up - but I was just so excited to test everything out. [​IMG] Our well water is chlorinated and didn't have any bacteria last I tested and is VERY soft. It's a neat incubator! Seller I bought from has another for sale up on Ebay, currently at $260. Mine was $311 including shipping because I used bing and ebay bucks to buy it and the seller was nice enough to refund part of the shipping (without being asked) when it came out to costing about $8 less.

I've still got my foam hovabator for overflow. [​IMG]

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Good price. I paid around $450 total, bought it right from Brinsea. You'll love it. My temp and humidity are always right on the set point no matter what is going on in the room or with the weather.

I'd suggest you invest in a battery backup "uninterruptable power supply" for total peace of mind.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    We have the whole house on a huge backup generator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by