Brinsea Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissCluckCluck, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. I have never used one.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    I plan on getting a Brinsea Mini Eco incubator soon. Although I know I am going to get one anyway (I haven't been swayed otherwise) I would LOVE to hear your guys's opinions, reviews and feedback. Tell me your favourite things and how your hatch rates have been! Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Of course, I would recommend Brinsea incubators. No hesitation. In fact I have recommended them.

I posted this in another thread (Mahonri's 3rd Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long) just this morning. Here's what I wrote:

Edit: Whoops, forgot to mention hatch rates. I got a 100% twice. Although I do candle and remove the eggs that aren't developing properly, so that makes it easier to get 100%. I don't think I've had less that 87% hatch rate in my Brinsea. Usually it's in the 90% range.

I think the best thing is that my Brinsea holds the temperature steady. And I do have the budget version, too, where I have to do the turning myself and check the little glass thermometer and I still get great hatches. So I'm really happy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is the same one I have. I have to rock it myself, since I didn't buy the turner (still considering buying it... but it's not that hard to rock the machine). Holds temps steady and seems to be fool proof.

1 person likes this.
  4. grasspack

grasspack Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Deering NH
    So glad to read all the good reports on Brinsea. I just ordered the Octo Advance. It is due to be delivered on Thursday. I can't wait!!!! I am so excited.

Alice

1 person likes this.
  5. kj7ym

kj7ym Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Well, I can not even get Brinsea to answer my e-mails. I have been ready to order one for a week now. But asked for clarification on heat regulation and the cooling feature. I actually started by placing a phone call to Support, but got a woman that did not even know what the cooling feature is. This left me wondering if she has even read the brochures. When I ask about the type of heating control, things got even more complicated. I sent an email to support explaining my experiance, hoping to get someone else to respond. No response. So the next day I sent the same thing to the Sales Department. Telling them I was just needed the two simple questions cleared up to place my order. Once again nothing. Brinsea sells a very complex little machine. What would we do if we had a malfunction or needed waranty or service done? I am a service tech, and do phone support myself in another field. And I am very aware that the product means nothing, without support. Good luck with these guys.

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 Mini Advanced and recently added the Octagon 20 w/automatic turner.

All three have been great at holding their temperature and turning (or not turning at the appropriate time) without problems.

Gail

1 person likes this.
  7. GrunHerz

GrunHerz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    SE. Texas
    I bought a Mini Advance a month ago,then got six Silkie eggs off Ebay.
    I set them on Feb.28, three were infertile after eight days and three were good to go.
    Happily all three hatched today,The Brinsea was easy to use and kept constant temps!
    I also bought a Eco 20 Advance with the turner,I'm going to set 14 Faverolles, 8 Bantam Buttercups, and 2 Dominques on the 21st.
    The only thing I can see con is they are a little tight on space after the eggs hatch, but the ease of operation far outweighs that small problem.

8. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have a Brinsea Mini Advance. I actually had to have it sent in for repairs. They were great to work with, and very fast.

I've done three hatches in it altogether (starting another one today). First hatch didn't go well (that's when we discovered there was a problem). Second hatch was shipped eggs. 6/7 developed, but one died in shell on hatch day. Third hatch I had 6/7 fertile. One died around day 7. Five hatched perfectly.

So, I'd say that it does really well. It can't help infertile eggs, or genetic problems, so the deaths I've had (other than the first hatch when the incubator was broken), weren't the fault of my mini advance.

I'd love to get the Octo with autoturning cradle, but it's kind of spendy.

9. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Small but works like the Big Boys ! Great....cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by