Brinsea Mini Advance Humidity - Too low?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmandaKyle, Mar 13, 2017.

1. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I'm in lockdown and chicks are set to hatch tomorrow. I filled both pots, per Brinsea's instructions, but the hygrometer has only been reading at around 62% humidity. My understanding is that 70% is better in order to keep the membranes from drying out. Should I add a sponge (or something along those lines) to boost humidity? Of course, I have to go to work in an hour and won't be here all day to monitor. [​IMG]

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Frozen Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    @microchick What did you end up doing with yours?

3. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

I was able to keep mine within normal range by filling both pots. My hygrometer read in the 70-75% area with the humidity rising into the 80's once hatching commenced. When it got too high I simply opened the canopy to remove empty shells and dropped it back down to the 70's. Of course I was careful not to disturb the eggs unless a newly hatched chick had rolled a pipped egg onto the pip and then I carefully turned it so the pip was cleared of obstructions.

During the incubation phase I generally kept it in the 25-45% range without difficulty simply by adding a cc or two of water to one pot twice a day.

Has the OP calibrated their hygrometers? Mine were in a couple-three percentage points of one another so I considered that an acceptable range deviation.

Also, AmandaKyle, do you have the Mini Eco or the Advanced unit? If you have the Mini Eco, have you removed the plug where the turning motor would be located? If you have, replace it. I noticed that when my humidity went up during lock down, I had condensation form in the top of the empty cylinder.

If you are 100% certain that your hygrometer is accurate then I would just add a bit of sponge to the water well and watch your hygrometer. If you are in the high or mid 60's I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once the eggs start to pip and zip, the % will go up dramatically.

Good luck with your hatch. I really like my Brinsea Mini Eco. It held the temp at a steady 100 degrees during incubation, and recovered temp and humidity rapidly when I turned the eggs. I was worried at first about the .5% temp deviation but had a 100% hatch rate with the 11 bantam eggs I put in it. I have come to realize that a broody hen has neither a thermometer or hygrometer built into her belly when she is sitting on eggs so both temp and humidity is going to fluctuate.

Let us know how it goes. We are here to help if needed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Thank you for your response and willingness to help! I have not calibrated the hygrometer.I got it at Petco, and it's nothing fancy. It was holding steady at 50% for the entire time I've had it. That was with one pot filled. I filled the pots up to the tippity top this morning, and before I left the humidity had crept up to 65%.

It is the Mini Advance.

5. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

I'd say, don't sweat the difference. As stated, you are going to see an increase in humidity at pip and zip. Mine went up almost 10 sometimes 15% with multiple zips going on. The Brinseas are pretty much calibrated to take the guess work out of hatching. Thank goodness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by