Brinsea Mini Advance Question

GVChickenMan

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi,

I am a complete newbie and currently have 7 beautiful blue eggs sitting in my brand new Brinsea Mini Advance. It seems to be doing its job properly and, other than checking it several hundred times a day to make sure it hasn't moved/been stolen/burst into flames etc (and, obviously, topping up the water when required), I am leaving it well alone.

My question is this:

I presume when I go into lockdown I should remove the egg turning disc and replace it with something that will be easier on the chicks feet and easier to clean up afterwards etc. What do people use? It will obviously also have to be capable of being cut into a ring to fit the awkward incubator shape.

Sorry if its a dumb question but this is my first time and I figured I may as well get the benefit of someone else's experience rather than just trial and error it.

I'm only on Day 6 so I have some time to source whatever the solution is.

i have the brinsea mini advance EX and it is said to remove the turner for a mat or something

personally i cant see that happeneing as taking out 7 eggs and removing turner and then adding mat may cause eggs to decrease temp considering how long it takes

what im gonna do is just stop the turner

i made a cut out mat already which im gonna quickly lay on top of the eggs and one by one slide the eggs out and place on top of mat

leaveing the egg disk in place

hope that makes sence

(im on day 15)

Last edited:
I cut a circle of that waffled shelf liner stuff, cut out the center to fit around the water reservoir. Oh, and took out the turning plate. The Brinsea recovers humidity and temperature really fast and I've done it with several hatches, so that couple minutes accomplishing the task has not adversely affected the hatch.

I used to use paper towels, but I like the shelf liner better.

Agreed- the Brinsea is so good at bringing things back up that I wouldn't worry about taking the eggs out while I remove the turner. Mom gets off the eggs every day for a few minutes to eat and drink, so it's ok!

It's good to replace the turner with a nonslip surface so that you don't have a slick surface- that can cause leg injuries in recently hatched chicks.

I've cut out felt to the proper shape, and I've also used the waffle weave shelf liner. Both work fine.

Here's a pic from my last hatch so you can see what I mean.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can get some shelf liner. If not, I have paper towels aplenty on standby.

Hey people i put my 7 eggs today at 2!
Im not sure what to put the turning intervals at?
Right now its at 180 minutes with 10 sec angle!!!
They are rhode island red eggs so normal size,
Can some one PLEASE tell me what should i set the turning interval and angle at.
Please please.
And when do i fill both water pots?

Hey people i put my 7 eggs today at 2!
Im not sure what to put the turning intervals at?
Right now its at 180 minutes with 10 sec angle!!!
They are rhode island red eggs so normal size,
Can some one PLEASE tell me what should i set the turning interval and angle at.
Please please.
And when do i fill both water pots?

180 minutes is just fine. I have one set at 90 minutes and one at 30 minutes but the whole idea is just to ensure they move at least 3 times a day, which the Brinseas do very well.

For the turning angle, a Brinsea rep suggested 15 to me, because I wasn't seeing the eggs roll when set at 10. 15 works very well for me.

Good luck!!

Quote:
180 minutes is just fine. I have one set at 90 minutes and one at 30 minutes but the whole idea is just to ensure they move at least 3 times a day, which the Brinseas do very well.

For the turning angle, a Brinsea rep suggested 15 to me, because I wasn't seeing the eggs roll when set at 10. 15 works very well for me.

Good luck!!
So should i change my angle 10 to 15? Or what? I will leave time at 180 minutes, Help with angle please

Back
Top Bottom