Brinsea Mini Advance... Reviews & Pictures

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken boy sam, Aug 9, 2010.

1. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    I'm thinking about getting one of these... Any reviews and your own pictures? Cheapest place to buy?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Buy it from the manufacturer at Brinsea.com. I've looked around and it IS the cheapest - hopefully there is still the online special sale of $119.99.

I am extremely happy with mine. EXTREMELY. As a newbie, I needed a nearly fool-proof incubator, and one that only held a few eggs so I wouldn't go hog-wild stupid with it.

The top of the incubator with display.
    [​IMG]

Loaded with 7 eggs.
    [​IMG]

First hatchling, late Friday August 6th.
    [​IMG]

The egg from which it hatched.
    [​IMG]

Saturday, August 7th - Getting crowded in there....
    [​IMG]

When I took the lid off to take chicks out. 6 out of 7 eggs had hatched.
    [​IMG]

This was my very first incubation attempt EVER. I'm ready to load it up again!

One strong recommendation: secure a bit of mesh over the water reservoirs during lock-down, because one of my chicks managed to drown in it when it was newly hatched, very wobbly, and too weak to pull its head out of the water, in the space of time it took me to make a pot of coffee.

3. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    SO CUTE! Thanks for the review....definitely on my list of things to buy.

4. CindyG

CindyG Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that this is a great little incubator. I got this first, then picked up a couple of other, larger ones so I could do more and more hatching, have had very little luck with them, so think I'm just going to get another MiniAdvance. The digital controls are great, I like the turning options, easy to clean and good hatches. I did order the small egg holder for Serama eggs, and it was super. No hygrometer in it tho, so I got a small round reptile one from the pet store and can fit it in there. If all the eggs hatch it gets a bit crowded, but I have found that I can quickly grab out the first few chicks and empty shells and it doesn't seem to affect it. If the heat drops, it goes right back up very quickly. Same for the humidity. I haven't had a chick drown in the resevoir but one did get his head in there once, so a bit of a wire cover is a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by