1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea mini advance taking a long time to heat up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcbrownacu, Sep 27, 2014.

1. jcbrownacu

jcbrownacu Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    Anybody have any trouble with their incubator taking 36 hours to get to 99.5? I saw it get to 98.7 last night but this morning it's 97.5 again. The room is 79 with the air vents closed so no drafts. Just curious as to your thoughts! Thanks
    Josh

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I don't have the mini but I do I have octagon 20 adv with the same digital display. Brinseas are usually great at getting to and holding temp. So my first thought would be to make sure you have set it to the temperature you want it at and have saved it in the menu. Also to make sure it's acctually together correctly and that when put the lid on its making a good seal. Also I would check that the cooling period is off I think it's number five on the main menu as you scroll through it. Hope this helps and you get your incubator upto temp.

3. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    Just got home and its at 99.5. I dont know what took it so long. Will that delay my hatch by a day?

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No shouldn't do. I would still double check that you have the cooling option off. Brinsea recommends that if you wish to use the cooling option you start doing it after the seventh day. What day are you on?

5. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    It was the beginning. Like on initial startup took 36 hours to get to 99.5. Its back down to 97. I give up. I put them in my cheap incubator holding temp steady. Pretty ticked off. I dont have the cooling feature on. Maybe I need to clean the top area out?

6. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    [​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm not sure then. Mine only takes an hour to get to temp so if it were me I would give Brinsea a call they have good customer services so should be able to point you in the right direction as what to do next.

8. jcbrownacu

Sep 7, 2014
    Richardson, TX
    so i put a blanket around it and that seemed to do the trick. i made sure to not cover the vent hole and im really only covering about 1/3 of the side plastic. it's weird that it's having trouble keeping warm. the room is so warm too. very frustrating. im going to call brinsea here in a bit and see what they say.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by