Brinsea mini Eco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ClemsonAg, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ClemsonAg

ClemsonAg Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Just got this thing in the mail this morning and have let it run all day with a hygrometer/extra thermometer in it. The built in thermometer is cheap and of course was different that the digital one. Has anyone had this problem? What is the best method for tweaking it, and how long should I wait for it to settle afterwards?

Thanks

2. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster

This is so small that it should take only an hour or so to be up to 99.5F. I had the mini advance, same size and I never checked the temp or humidity with an external meter. It hatched 6 out of 7 eggs. I would suggest putting only 5 eggs in at a time or you will have a huge traffic jam of chicks, egg shells and the chicks can barely stand up and knock the other eggs all around. During lockdown put your eggs around the center water Resevoir leaving a path around the outside for the chicks to stumble around. If you put more than 5 eggs in there you may be tempted to open during lockdown just to make more room for the poor little things.,(like I did). I probably killed my last chick by doing that since it had pipped already when I opened to let others out several times. Good luck and enjoy. I wouldn't worry about the temp right now unless after your first hatch you have poor results.

3. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks. The digital was reading 101, so I was a little worried. Unfortunately my 8 Wyandotte eggs will be here tomorrow. Iwill remember that for the future though. Happy I found BYC.

4. Renee97038

Renee97038 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    West Coaster

You mean the digital reading on the top of the incubator was reading 101F? You have to set the temp to 99.5F on the Eco I think. Doesn't it have a menu you go they to set up everything?

5. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    I don't have the advanced. I have the basic model with built in thermometer. It's a keyhole on the back you adjust with a small screw driver. This is why I was using a digital hygrometer/therm.

6. ClemsonAg

Jan 24, 2014
    The cheap thermometer in it was reading like 104 and my digital was at 99.6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by