Brinsea minis?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklvr, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Ducklvr

Ducklvr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Hey, I was hoping some of you could answer a few of these questions I had about the brinsea minis.

1. Is there really that big of a difference between models (Eco, Advance, Advance Ex)?

2. how many duck eggs could COMFORTABLY fit in one?

And also I would like to hear you're point of veiw on each model, if you have one please post here!
    Some of the questions I have for users are:

What is hatch rate?

Does it monitor temp/humidty well (Advance EX)?

Will it hatch duck eggs?

What are some really good things, or some bad things about the brinsea minis?

Thanks in advance

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have a mini eco with 8 muscovy eggs and a hygrometer/thermometer jammed in there.. it's a tight fit.. and when I replace the lid after turning eggs I have to double check that it's closed tightly.. i think Brinsea says 6 duck eggs will fit in one.. lol.. i had 8 extras.. and luckily I got them all in

the eco is the bare bones.. no turner.. no auto anything.. and I prefer it that way.. less things to go wrong.. however if you want a "set it and forget it" type you may want one of the advance models

I can easily get the humidity up in the 70's with just filling the well to capacity.. so I don't see why there should be any problem hatching the eggs in there..

I'll take a cell phone pic later on and post it when i have the chance..

so far I like the mini.. i wanted something which would hold the extra eggs and it fits the bill perfectly
    (I have 2 of the octagon 20's filled with eggs.. couldnt see buying another for just 8 duck eggs)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have the mini eco, keeps temp great and not a problem with humidity. What i did'nt like is that i struggled to fit 12 eggs in it as it say's you should, when i opened it to turn the eggs i stuggled to get the lid back on with out bashing the eggs and they got turned while i fiddled to get lid back on. I reacently hatched 6 chicks in it, the chicks look so squashed and struggled to stand as its not very high.
    I have since bought the octagon 20 which i love and the brinsea eco is a standby just in case i need it.

4. Ducklvr

Ducklvr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Thank you both for your replys both were helpful.

Does anyone out there know if the mini acvane has a turner?

5. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    just got my Brinsea EX Mini yesterday and got the first batch going. 20 days left. I really LIKE that it rotates for me, I don't have to worry if I don't get home on time from something and they've gone too long without being turned, it's all done for me. The temps stays between 99.5 and 99.6 perfectly. Has not gone up or down beyond that.
    My first hatch was a 100% FLOP, I used a Little Giant 9200, still air. Lost all 12, tho some got pretty far along. I was quite upset and went and ordered a new Brinsea. High Hopes.
    $119 plus $20 for shipping. Such a light weight item, alot for the shipping in my humble opinion.
    Other than that, I won't know how well I like it, till hatch day:
    Feb 14th.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have three Mini Advance EX units, and three Octagon20 Advance EX units.

The Advance models have the auto-turner; the EX models have the additional humidity pump. The ECO models are the bare bones ones.
    I started with the MiniAdvance and added the rest as I got more and more into incubation.

Here's a photo of my recent set up, with just some of the 'bators in use:

[​IMG]

7. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    I have the advanced Brinsea. You can NOT go wrong with Brinsea. they are very nice incubators and i plan to add a new incubator to add the Mini Advance EX.

8. kj7ym

kj7ym Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2012
    Well, I can not even get Brinsea to answer my e-mails. I have been ready to order one for a week now. But asked for clarification on heat regulation and the cooling feature. I actually started by placing a phone call to Support, but got a woman that did not even know what the cooling feature is. This left me wondering if she has even read the brochures. When I ask about the type of heating control, things got even more complicated. I sent an email to support explaining my experiance, hoping to get someone else to respond. No response. So the next day I sent the same thing to the Sales Department. Telling them I was just needed the two simple questions cleared up to place my order. Once again nothing. Brinsea sells a very complex little machine. What would we do if we had a malfunction or needed waranty or service done? I am a service tech, and do phone support myself in another field. And I am very aware that the product means nothing, without support. Good luck with these guys.

9. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two Brinsea Mini Advanced and one Octagon 20 and find all three to be great incubators.

gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by