Brinsea Oct 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Karen27, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Karen27

Karen27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    I have the Brinsea Oct 20 I did not get the automatic turning cradle . How often are you supposed to turn the eggs manually?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Minimum of 3 times a day, some people like 5. An odd number will alternate the side that stays down while you are sleeping.

Make sure you don't add too much water or it will spill when you tilt it to the side.

Good luck!

3. Karen27

Aug 18, 2015
    So are you just rolling it back and forth 3 to 5xs a day ?Or are you supposed to let it sit on one of the sides for a short time then bring it to the middle then to the other side or just do it all at once? I saw on youtube the way the cradle does it it pauses on each 3 sides .Wasnt sure if we are supposed to be turning it like that it does have the sides that you couldleave it tilted

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I actually have the auto-turner, but if I didn't, I'd bring it to the middle in-between so that the change would be less abrupt. Not sure if it makes any difference, as long as it's gentle. The turner rocks the incubator slowly side to side all day and night.

What are you setting? I'm not going to hatch again until early spring.

5. nuklee0

nuklee0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2015
    King County, Washington

I have the same incubator and I hand turn each egg 3 times a day. I completed my first hatch last month and had 5/5 hatch. Biggest thing will be getting consistent humidity for lockdown but what works for me is laying wet paper towels on top of the water/under egg tray. Gets me a steady 65%. Good luck!

6. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    :frow hey ya friday :)

Karen;

I have an Octo 40 :) i :love that thing :) i hand tilt the whole bator three times a day, i only use the two sides. My hatchs have been 84% and 89% good question though and i have seen it debated whether or not to use the middle and the furthure sides than the two immediates that i use. I have found that this proccess is working well for me as reflected in hatch rates. Let me add: i live in Southern LA, humidity is Never low enough for me to be concerend with, but Friday there? I know she lives in the desert.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. Karen27

Aug 18, 2015
    Thank you I have been using the middle so we shall see what happens .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by