Brinsea oct-40???? Hatcher as opposed to incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by calgal98, Jul 16, 2011.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

How many use a separate hatcher for their incubation process and if you do, which type do you use? I would love to get a sep hatcher but just can't decide what to get. I use a dickey cab incubator but with staggered hatches would prefer a seperate machine for hatching.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I always use a separate hatcher. My husband built my hatcher and is finishing up on my incubator. My hatcher hatched about 40 out of 43 eggs. If I could afford to buy I would go with Dickey, I think they are reasonably priced. I have found several good ones on Craigslist too.

Mine isn't beautiful but it works good. I'm going to put some nice trim on it so it looks nice, but I had to put it to work before I got a chance to finish it.

[​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Yes; separate hatcher. I don't have enough birds to fill an incubator with eggs. With a separate hatcher, I can place a small tray of eggs into the incubator about every 4 days. Then move them to the hatcher for the last few days of lock down while the rest still get incubator care.

The hatcher can have safer footing for newly hatched chicks, while the incubator can be designed for maximum air circulation with no chance of little feet getting caught.

4. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks...still trying to decide which one. I like being able to do staggered hatches...so do I go one big one or two smaller ones? With my dickey I can do the incubating and then use it as a second or third hatcher....hmmm...thinking on the fly here

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    With staggered hatches I would prefer a few smaller hatchers, since opening the hatchers will release too much humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by