Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance and Temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beesong, Feb 9, 2011.

1. beesong

beesong Chillin' With My Peeps

My new Octagon 20 Advance (no pump) finally arrived, and I'm impressed with what appears to be its easy digital control. After stablization, it held a constant 99.6 from the factory. I lowered it to 99.5, and it continued to hold well. After adding my 21 guinea eggs, I decided to put in the two inexpensive digital thermometers I have just so I'd know how far off they are from what I assume is the accurate Brinsea reading. It would be handy to know that discrepancy for future use in other situations. Anyway, both of those units read exactly the same, and they each read 4 degrees lower than the Brinsea at 99.5. This both surprised me and concerns me. Do I believe two identical-reading units, even though they are cheap ones, or the "better" Brinsea temperature reading, even though it doesn't agree with any other thermometer I have? Those 21 guinea eggs are depending on accuracy, to be sure. Any input from other Brinsea users would be gratefully received!

2. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    I mostly hatch guinea eggs in my Brinsea. I have never put another thermometor is there and left the factory settings. My eggs have always hatched right on time.

3. beesong

Thank you so much for your help -- you have definitely put my mind at ease. I set my guinea eggs yesterday at 4pm, so I don't know how to count the appropriate days. Is yesterday Day 1 or is today Day 1? Glad to meet another guinea fan who is also hatching!

4. 1MrsMagoo

1MrsMagoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    St Tammany Parish LA
    Quote:From whay I understand...if you set yours Wednesday at 4pm....day one ends today at 4pm. I set my eggs in the middle of the afternoon too, which caused me some which day is it grief (I turned off the turner almost a full day early because of it). The day you set them is day 0 and 24 hours later the end of day 1...which should put you at day 28 at 4pm on March 9th....I think.

Good luck with your guineas. I am down to 3 and am eyeing some Chocolate guinea eggs being pre-sold on ebay. I have a guy locally that will give me eggs from his white, pied, and pearl when they start laying, but boy those chocolates [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. beesong

Quote:From whay I understand...if you set yours Wednesday at 4pm....day one ends today at 4pm. I set my eggs in the middle of the afternoon too, which caused me some which day is it grief (I turned off the turner almost a full day early because of it). The day you set them is day 0 and 24 hours later the end of day 1...which should put you at day 28 at 4pm on March 9th....I think.

Good luck with your guineas. I am down to 3 and am eyeing some Chocolate guinea eggs being pre-sold on ebay. I have a guy locally that will give me eggs from his white, pied, and pearl when they start laying, but boy those chocolates [​IMG]

Thanks so much for your advice! I hope you do get some of those chocolate guinea eggs; I'd love to see what you hatch out of them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by