Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX 24 eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheSheriffswife, Feb 7, 2011.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Hi guys! Another question! This may be silly..not sure yet. [​IMG] I just got my Brinsea and took a look at it and it says it fits 24 eggs, another place it says 16..I did get the humidity pump and the extras so I think it reduces the space inside..Anyway my question is I plan on (I already purchased 20 eggs) plus I'm sure they are sending extras) Now, lets say they all (24) fit in there..And I know this is being optimistic..but let's say the majority of the eggs hatch, how in the heck are all those chicks gonna hatch and fit in that bator if the eggs are pretty much one next to another, and then the chicks are popping out? I guess I don't understand where on earth they would stand or move around as the others are hatching. And if your not supposed to remove them until all have hatched I guess my question is what would I do if the majority hatch? There just seems to not be enough room. Thanks! and I appreciate all the answers, it is so helpful for a newbie like me. [​IMG]

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have managed to fit up to 30 in my advance EX - I don't use all the rails and fit them in carefully. [​IMG] And I break the rules (shhhh) and remove chicks every 8 hours or so when dry. Otherwise you are right, 20 chicks is a very tight squeeze. I am sure that other people do not do this, but I have not had problems with shrinkwrapping with the humidity pump if I pull them out quick and don't do it too often. [​IMG]

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree and do as Featherz! It works. Some people worry WAY to much!

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    You can stack eggs if you are careful as well and just pull your clear eggs when you candle. 24 eggs will fit in there and I do the same thing as featherz, I pull the chicks out when they are dry if there are no other pips. That leaves a lot more room for the next chicks to hatch. I take the rails out at lockdown and put the eggs in egg cartons instead.

5. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Oh Neat! Some good ideas..Thanks. [​IMG] I thought it might be ok to quickly remove a chick..And I know I am being WAY too optimistic about the majority hatching, I'm sure there will be room for the babies being my first time and all..[​IMG] But I did buy the EX cause it's dummy proof...[​IMG] ) so just maybe I will have a good hatch rate

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Best of Hatches to you! Keep us informed. It is fun and Exciting when the little suckers pop out! Ha Ha

7. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Ahhhh Thanks!! I am beyond excited..I am building my brooder next week when I am off of work, then my eggs (20) are coming 1st week of March from ChickenScratchPoultry.com They seem to have some pretty birds..I'm getting some French BCM's, Olive Eggers, Lavender Orps, BLR Wyandottes and then 6 asst. female chicks from MPC end of March..just in case I have an epic fail with the eggs, [​IMG] or they turn out to be mostly boys! I want laying hens..Hubby says NO Roo's [​IMG] but I really want to keep just one but we will see..Thanks again guys..I will keep ya posted.

8. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    I have to Brinsea 20 Ecos and I am also a fuzz-butt removing rebel. It just looks to crammed after I have about 8 babies hatch.
    Of course, I also 'help' chicks that have been pipped for 24 hours and some people say that makes weak chickens. (But I have some very large healthy chicks that say otherwise.)
    I grab the shells too, to make more room for the later chicks. If you're worried about it, buy a spray bottle and fill it with warm water before you open the hatch.
    Then you can mist the remaining eggs before you seal the incubator back up. Instant humidity.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I just (last night) loaded 24 eggs into my oct 20adv EX. I didn't use the rails this time, but oared the eggs into cut done strofoam egg cartons for the whole ride. Two one-dozen cartons just fit.

And I sneak out fluffed up chicks after they have been out of the egg overnight. Shells, too. But ONLY if there aren't any pipped or zipped eggs at the time.

10. TheSheriffswife

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Hi Linda..Can I ask how do you cut that egg carton and place the eggs? That sounds interesting..and you leave it in from start to finish?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by