Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO - consistent temp.?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Am ordering Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO.

I understand that this one keeps pretty stable temps. We heat w/wood so the temp in my house fluctuates quite a bit even during the day.
    Those of you who own or have used one... do you think this will be a problem?

2. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    I can't say for certain, since I don't know how much your temperatures vary during each day and night. However, I keep my Brinsea in the upstairs bathroom. Our upstairs is not heated and it's been doing just fine keeping very accurate temps. I know on some of our recent cold nights, the room temp. gets lower (maybe low-60's) in that bathroom, but I have candled a few of the eggs in the Brinsea, and they're growing! I put 26 eggs in on Feb. 3. Temp. has been steady at 99.5. I like the Brinsea Eco so much, I've ordered another one!! [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My bank of Octagon20 Advance EX units are in my unheated guest room, where the dog door in the sliding glass door is placed. The re is some weatherproofing between the glass doors where they slide past each other AND the pet door is a solid panel that closes, so it's not breezy or anything, but it is much cooler in there than the rest of the house.

The 'bators hold temps very well, and recover temps quickly.

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    My Brinsea is awesome at keeping temps. I love mine.

5. mmaddie's mom

Thank you all... good to know and it sounds like it will be good here... we do have a back-up furnace that kicks in at 60*.
    Am ordering right now.
    Happy Hatching! [​IMG]

6. mmaddie's mom

Ordered ! [​IMG]

7. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    [​IMG]
    I think you'll love the Brinsea. [​IMG]

8. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    Our house is allowed to flucuate, and runs cold in the winter. I've had my Brinsea Oct 20 ECO running for 2 weeks, and I'm finding I have to keep tweeking it -- it seems to be fine and then the temp either slowly drifts down or up. Since the drift is slow, there have been no extremes hit, so I'm not worried about it causing problems to the vitality of the eggs, however, it would be nice if I didn't have to fiddle with the controller every 3 days or so. It keeps me paying attention though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by