Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 1, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Hello all of you Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco users, I just ordered mine last night based on all of the positive feedback I have read on these forums. I was wondering however, it seems that if the incubator were full, there is not much room for the chicks once they hatch out. How does this work?
    Steve

2. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Yes, it gets very crowded in there.

I have steamed up the bathroom and quickly transferred out early hatchers without apparent problem. It seems to come back to temp and humidity quickly.

I have also lost birds whose shells were broken too soon by their earlier hatchmates playing football with their egg.

I hope you get many responses. I am also interested!

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Many times people have a separate incubator for hatching. This is always an option, but not necessary.

The Octagon 20 has a capacity of 24 eggs. But if you think about it, if you start with 2 dozens, your not going to end up with 24 eggs at hatch time. You'll have picked out the duds by then. The average hatch rate in an incubator is around 60%, anyway.

Also, it is suggested that you remove the egg dividers to provide for more room during hatch time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by