Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a question on the Brinsea Octagon 20. I am thinking I "need" an incubator and am wondering if this is a good choice? I do not want to spend a whole lot as I will not be hatching often. Is this particular model a good one? Am I understanding correctly that I just have to turn the incubator itself in order to have the eggs turned (instead of handling the eggs directly)? I know you can get an advanced model, but am wondering how the basic one works.

I'm considering this one or the mini advance. I see they are both on sale, and both similar in price. Any thoughts or opinions would be GREAT! Thank you in advance!

2. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I bought a Brinsea Octagon 20 ECO when they first starting offering them. I really like mine! There is no comparison between the ECOs and the styrofoam bators in my opinion. I have an LG styrofoam bator and it is really difficult to stabilize the temp in it. It can be done and it holds more eggs but I generally only use it now for a hatcher. The temp in the ECO is always very stable and no worry. It is real easy to turn your eggs. You don't have to open it- you just roll the whole unit over. I do have the Autoturn cradle now which makes it even better. (I think it runs about $49.) I just fill the water channels about once a week and then forget about it. I always have a good hatch in my ECO.
    This spring I bought a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance and it is great. The only diffence in it and the ECO though is that it has a digital read-out to let me know the temp and humidity. Both are great products and worth the few extra $ that you pay for them.

3. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I love this incubator [​IMG] The Eco 20, without turner is the best bang for your buck, IMHO. Plastic far outperforms styrofoam. I have three incubators, an LG still air, a Genesis 1588 and the Brinsea Eco 20 and the eco 20 is my fave. I love that it is plastic, holds temps steady and you can manually turn without touching the eggs. If the size/capacity is not an issue (it only holds about 24 chicken eggs) then this is your incubator. There are a few things I wish were different (more and shallower water wells, more headroom for hatchlings, easier/more functional way to add water without opening) but overall this is the most reliable incubator in this price range. Oh, and wait till they go on sale for $99 [​IMG]

4. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    The eco 20 is my first incubator. It has worked great for this newbie. Out of my first 3 hatches no problems. You read all the problems people have with their incubators and I have no complaints about mine well maybe that it is a little tight for the chicks. A nice worry free incubator.[​IMG]

5. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:It's on sale right now [​IMG] So, you are saying I should skip the turner?? I see it is on sale for $50 right now. Thanks so much for the info!

6. smfildes

smfildes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Morrow, Ohio
    :/The incubator sounds great! Who has them on sale? Thanks so much.

7. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    The turner is well worth the extra $.

8. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Quote:It's on sale right now [​IMG] So, you are saying I should skip the turner?? I see it is on sale for $50 right now. Thanks so much for the info!

if you can afford the turner cradle you should buy it! I bought just the incubator last year and bought the turner this spring. I was always forgetting if I had turned the eggs already or not and sometimes felt like I forgot completely. The turner makes it SO simple, just periodically check you humidity.

9. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Oh, I don't know if I can "afford" it, but I could buy it and then feel guilty [​IMG] I mentioned it to DH that I was going to get one w/out the cradle and he says "If you are going to get one, get one that automatically turns, but I don't think you need one at all!"

LOL.. I get so OCD about stuff, I'm afraid I wouldn't stop hatching if I have an incubator....UGH... I need to decide soon as I'm going crazy thinking about it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by