1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Octagon 20 - feedback on it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wynette, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hi, folks. I REALLY wanted the RCom-20, but apparently Brinsea is no longer carrying it. The lady I spoke with said something about the manufacturer breaching a contract or something...anywho, I ended up getting a (scratch & dent) Octagon 20. I've never liked the looks of them in pictures, because they look like you just can't see into them very well.

I searched on BYC and couldn't find any specific threads on feedback regarding this unit...so, anything you can tell me would be great! Thanks, guys! [​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I just bought an Rcom from Brinsea 2 weeks ago. I am so sorry. I love it.

However, I know PC loves his Brinsea! Scratch and dent means you got a decent price?

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sigh....I waited too long. I've been wanting a Brinsea for months, but haven't been able to afford it. So, I'd been in contact with a woman at Brinsea, and she told me that every now & then, someone returns one and they cannot resell it as "new," so they sell it as a "scratch & dent." Suppsedly, this one was sold to a lady that never used it, returned it shortly after she bought it, and it does have some scratched on the lid. Yeppers, got it for less. Still expensive, but much more reasonable, and I can deal with a few scratches.

It's just that I've not seen hardly any hatch pics using it on here, and no one seems to mention the Octagon 20, so I'm a bit concerend that maybe I made a mistake in buying it.

4. Solsken Farm

Oh, I don't think you made a mistake! I have no experience, but I have read enough to know lots of people like them and I was looking seriously at the 40 but it was just too much money, and the R com new price was just too good a deal.

I hope someone replies to you.

What are you going to put in it?[​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Probably just some mutts in January, then some French copper black marans in the spring. I'll be receiving eggs next week from Bev Davis and another source that has Jeanne/? (I forgot other line). My good friend is hatching them out for me, and I've currently got a nice Davis roo. So, by spring, I should be rockin' & rollin' with the marans!

6. Solsken Farm

Quote:You finally came up on Bev's list? Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder you want a great bator. It will probably be another year before I come up on Bev's list. [​IMG] I have some once removed Bev Copper Blues and Blacks in my Rcom, along with some wheatens. Shipping can be so tough on eggs, I wanted to give them every chance. Funny thing is I am having the best hatch with a $40 LG hatcher right now. [​IMG] So go figure....[​IMG]

7. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I love my Brinsea pro-20. Mine has the auto turner cradle and the humidity module. Its easy to look into, I never had an issue with that. I have 7 eggs in it now. 1 is my hens egg, checking fertility on my roo, 6 are kiki eggs, shipped and scrambled. 3 are looking promising. Mine keeps temperature to a "T", humidity I had to work with. I've had mine sitting in a box for several years, never needed to use it until now.

8. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Good to know on humidity; I'll make sure to set some on a weekend when I can be there to watch the percentages! THANKS!

Yep, my name came up on Bev's list. I'm not sure, but I believe she is closing her book now, so I'm happy!!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have an octagon 40. Basically the same, just allows for double the amount of eggs. Mine works great. Ive had it for 6 years, i think. It works great, and I always get great hatches.

10. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:We have an octagon 40 and I don't like it.

You have to pull out the egg trays to add water
    the temp will swing with changes in room temp
    replacement parts are very expensive, you can't just replace the heating element you have to replace the whole top cover for example.
    for the price you pay it's very cheaply made, plastic top cover, molded foam plastic base.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by