Brinsea octagon 20 incubator temp questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Northwood Silkies, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    I have the Brinsea octagon 20 eco incubator and I was wondering how accurate the thermometer is that it came with? I have the spot check thermometer and either the spot check is off or the thermometer that came with the incubator is off by 1 degree or so. Which one do I trust?
    It says that the incubator was supposed to be preset to 99.5 but mine got a little over 100 so I have lowered the temp just a little but I want to be sure on the temp and wondering which thermometer I should trust more?
    Thanks

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

I will be honest, it is hard to find something that you can trust when it comes to thermometers. I trust the glass one in the bator if you can see it. I adjusted mine before I sat my last eggs so that it was viewable easier. I went to petco and got a hygrometer/thermometer. It is all over the place with temps.. I went and got another one from another petco, a flukers.. I have another word for it.. Junkers. I did borrow my friends fluke infared thermometer and it showed the same as the glass thermometer (or in the ball park since the glass one has divisions of 1 degree. The Fluke showed 99.3, the glass showed inbetween 99 and 100.

3. Northwood Silkies

Northwood Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Northwest Michigan
    Your right, I have a flukers too and I hate it. It's not accurate at all. My gut was telling me to go with the glass one in the incubator anyway.. Thanks so much for your reply :)

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've hatched with mine twice and I'm sticking with the temp that was preset for the bator.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you can SEE the thing it is accurate. I can't see it without a HUGE magnifying glass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by