1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brinsea Octagon 20 or GENESIS INCUBATOR 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CDennis, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I was leaning towards the Genesis but then I saw the sale on the Brinsea Octagon and I know they have quite a following. Any advice?

2. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I bought a Genesis earlier this year, and only used it once, but all eight eggs I set hatched perfectly.

3. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Thanks, I am really having a hard time deciding and with the sale on Brinsea gear I can get a turner as well for about the same cost as a Genesis w/ turner.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Brinsea all the way

5. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I have owned a Genesis and sold it, never tried the Brinsea. Since the Genesis is foam, I would try the Brinsea and at that price, it cannot be BEAT.

Nancy

6. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:So if your advice is the Brinsea am I ok w/ the Octagon 20 w/ turner? Everything else is a bit more than I think I can convince my DH to let me spend.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have both.

I know folks who set in the Brinsea and then hatch in the Genesis.

I set and hatch in both.

Last hatch 24/24 in my Brinsea hatched. (I did have to help the last two)

Genesis with the turner holds 41, Brinsea 24.... more if the eggs are bantam or pullet.

Get both!

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have a hova-bator and a Brinsea, the Brinsea is sooo much easier to clean and I get better hatch rates from it.

9. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I can't afford them both at least not right now [​IMG] so I think I am leaning towards the Brinsea. I don't need to be hatching over 24 eggs at a time!!! I'm not sure my DH would be ok w/ that. The Brinsea looks pretty compact is there enough room to put some sort of humidity gauge in there? I like the idea of it being easier to clean for sure!! Thanks again for all the help.

10. Yessur Ebob

Yessur Ebob Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I went with the Genesis because of size, but the styrofoam is rather difficult to clean. [​IMG] But either than that I very happy with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by