Brinsea Octagon 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by korncobb, May 28, 2010.

1. korncobb

korncobb Hatching

Apr 23, 2010
    Are they a good incubator any faults thank you.

2. kipoley

kipoley In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    BFE Assyria, MI
    [​IMG]

3. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    They are good. you will need to get a humidity gage. I got mine from petsmart replite area. It works great. Also you do not have to hand turn you can tilt it on it's sides. You will find the only downside is the amount of eggs it holds. I love mine just wish it held more now. [​IMG]

4. loopy12

loopy12 Songster

Apr 11, 2009
    I love mine.
    I love how reliably it holds temperature. I love how easy it is to clean.
    I did crack one egg by accident because the egg holders weren't as bendy at the edge and I pushed the egg in too hard.
    It does seem to need the water topping up more than my hovabator but this is probably because we always have a cloth dipped in it to raise humidity throughout incubation (duck eggs).
    I like that it has a screen to keep the hatchlings away from the dangerous bits - whereas my duclings bang their heads and mouth the element in my hovabator.
    I like how when they hatch you are eyeball to eyeball with them...cute...
    It does seem a little cramped in there for hatching but the chicks/ducklings have just come from even tighter quarters I suppose so they don't seem to mind. The smaller area to heat should make it cheaper to heat, easier to maintain temp and easier to get up to temp after removing lid I guess.
    Would I buy it again? Yes...I can see it lasting for many years, whereas I think my hovabator bottom will get a bit manky and battered over time with repeat washings and peckings.

Hope that helps!

5. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    They are sooooooo awesome! Only prob I had was the egg wracks. I accidentally dropped one of the dividers on an egg and broke it [​IMG] Other than that, its awesome! Just fill it with water every other day and your good to go!!!!!!! Very easy and reliable. No need to babysit it. Never even have to check the temperature because it is always right! Buy it now! Its worth it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by