Brinsea Octagon 40 seems ridiculously pricey!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I mean, over 500 dollars and it hold 'just' 48 eggs in turner. That's almost as much moola as a Sportsman Cabinet that will hold hundreds.

Also, i can get a gen. hova. 1588 with turner for about 170.00. I can get THREE, then for about 510.00. Why on earth get the brinsea? Just cuz it's plastic and not styro? just cuz it has some neato readouts etc. on it.

from what i hear about peoples success with gen. 1588, etc. the small Brower hatcher incubator--which are way cheaper as i have been ranting--i cannot see at all the price for the octagon adv. 48 or whatever it's called.

but it sure looks nice!!

2. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    who is offering the 1588 with turner for $170? Im looking to get one also but i'm trying to find the best deal.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Thats the model I got but I had 2 coupons for it. I paid 398$ with shipping included last year and I love it!

I had the hova's for 3-4 years previously and the cleaning is a piece of cake with the Brinsea:)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:cutlers supply. call today!!!

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Personally I think the Brinseas are well worth the money. Styrofoam is harder to clean and sanitise and after a few hatches it does start getting rather tatty. If you don't want to pay so much you could go for the Eco model instead of the Advanced model - no neato readouts and you have to use a thermometer and hygrometer in it - it's pretty much every bit as good, just a bit less fancy. But you're right, for the same money you could probably get a second hand cabinet incubator that would take way more eggs. I suppose it just depends how you want to spend your money.

I got my Brinsea second hand so I saved a bit over the shop price... [​IMG]

6. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Well, i went and ordered the Octagon 20 Eco today!

I was already given a hova gen. 1588 in 2008

7. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:cutlers supply. call today!!!

www.incubatorwarehouse.com the 1588 is $120 without turner, and less than 170 with.

i got my incubators (still air's) from www.lllreptilesupply.com for WAY less than anyone else had them, and i'll add my own 12v fans. - hubby refurbs older computers so we've got tons of fans hanging about LOL bought my turner off ebay for $25

8. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
  9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Quote:I ordered the same one today, so we are both going to be waiting with baited breath! ^5 I couldn't resist that sale price, especially after having owned a Little Giant and having to try to clean stinky, crappy Styrofoam.

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:I ordered the same one today, so we are both going to be waiting with baited breath! ^5 I couldn't resist that sale price, especially after having owned a Little Giant and having to try to clean stinky, crappy Styrofoam.

funny. i am leery of the frailty of styrofoam, and possible lack of any resale value if i ever wanted to sell it. i have already made little dings in the hova. 1588, AND I'VE ONLY USED IT ONCE: 2+ YEARS AGO!

I want to use a bator that is a bit more 'forgiving' in its construction than that. i can just see me cracking it while washing it with soap and water.........

i think i'm gonna get another eco, and maybe reserve the hova for hatching.................

OH MY WORD! BRINSEA IS SELLING IT FOR 99.00 TIL END OF SEPT.!!! I'M CHANGING MY ORDER TO GET IT FROM THEM!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by